FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:49:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Harmonic Balancers  (Read 2101 times)
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2018, 02:14:05 PM »
+2

This has been a three-year off-again, on-again project.

The Holden harmonic balancer is a complicated assembly of a dozen parts.  Its job is to damp out torsional vibrations in the crankshaft.  A heavy inertia disc is sandwiched between two rubbers, and secured to the hub by six rivets and a special washer at the front of the unit.  The inertia disc acts as a flywheel, and torsional vibrations in the crankshaft hub cause the rubbers to deform.  The rubbers are not perfectly springy, and absorb the torsional vibrations.

But like everything else, the grey motor harmonic balancer gives trouble over time.  The timing case oil seal wears a groove in the hub, which then leaks.  The rubbers fall to bits, and the inertia disc comes loose.  Or the rivets loosen and the pulley comes loose and rattles.

How hard can it be to disassemble a few harmonic balancers, reproduce the rivets and the rubbers, sleeve or hard-chrome the hubs, and reassemble?

There's quite some work to it . . .

The first challenge was in reverse-engineering the rubbers and getting moulds made for reproduction rubbers.  And then there was the issue of what durometer rating was closest to the original.  I wanted to do it in a more exact manner than just the "sink the thumbnail into the rubber" method.  Fortunately I was able to get some original rubbers measured for their durometer rating.

The rivets, it turns out, were designed in sensible imperial dimensions.  But I still had to guess-timate the overall length of the rivet, because they get peened over at the factory.

I needed to design some assembly tooling to hold the parts in the right relationship, compress the rubbers, and peen the rivets over with star-shaped drifts to duplicate the original assembled appearance.

A goodly amount of time with a sandblaster cleaning parts, some etch primer, and -

(view from rear)

(view from front)

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 03:21:59 PM »

Good work Rob

I wonder how many have gone in the bin over the years I have had to go over to the dark side for 2 of our cars and get the red motor type replacement

But recently found 2 reconditioned original units
from Brooklands parts in Melbourne probably closed down now

If you're going to redo some I would be interested in at least 1
What would the cost be?

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: