FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:13:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: We're going to Canberra  (Read 5993 times)
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2017, 12:02:51 AM »

OK guys the trip planning has started.
Looking for some local knowledge

Doing the usual thing and not going in a straight line  Roll Eyes
We've done the Hume Hwy so I'm looking for an alternative route to put a new line on my map  Grin
and to make my Diary a bit more interesting  Smiley

Latest vague idea for a plan
Pick up car from CEVA in Villawood on Mon 26th
Drive down Princes Hwy
Stop overnight somewhere (Woollygong Huh)
Tues drive to Batemans Bay. Turn right onto Kings Hwy to Canberra
arrive at Nats HQ Tues arvo 27th

We're booking out of Nats HQ on Tues 3rd

Just need to figure out which direction to take. Have a couple of days up my sleeve before needing to drop the car back at CEVA
HuhHuhHuhHuh?

Cool Cool Cool & Cathy

confirmed bits in blue

cruisin's great with a 58
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 07:49:27 AM »

Hi Surferboy, the coast road is a great idea with heaps of places you can detour through. I think you would be a lot further south than the gong on day 1, closer to Nowra. You can look at taking the road through Kiama,Gerringong and Berry (which has a great doughnut caravan on the main road), then into Nowra.
Just a thought to get you started.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 04:46:44 PM »

Surferboy,

I agree with Jim, great idea & you will easily get well past Wollongong on day 1.
It would make the second day more leisurely.

Some thoughts.
Sydney locals will know the best route out of Villawood when it gets closer to Easter. The place can be frustrating for visitors depending on the time of day, the latest changes in toll ways & current detours around any major construction. It can seem to take forever sometimes but once you're out, you will enjoy the relaxing drive down the coast.
The South Coast is a very busy area around Easter. Many people (including half of Canberra) take the opportunity to get away for a few days before winter sets in.
Kiama has the famous blowhole they now say is the largest in the world, but it could be a good spot for a cuppa or lunch anyway if it's close to that time.
I have only ever stayed at a private address in Nowra but I'm sure there would be plenty of suitable accommodation. I have stayed at a caravan park at Sussex Inlet a couple of times. It's about 40 minutes further heading south & just off the main road. A smaller town than Nowra but has all you need in a quiet holiday spot.
Lake Conjola (between Nowra & Ulladulla) is very well set up with family tourists parks that are well regarded & very popular.
Mollymook & Ulladulla are typically pleasant tourist spots along the track. I've stayed in a caravan park in Ulladulla when there was nothing else available within miles (hadn't booked ahead) & it was great.
South Duras is another location set up like Lake Conjola with large parks to accommodate the family tourists. They are highly rated & offer beach frontages.
Batemans Bay is the gateway to the South Coast for Canberra. Many people own weekenders there because it's only a couple of hours away. You will see a lot of vehicles in the Bay with ACT registration over the Easter break. Accommodation would need to be booked well in advance. There is a zoo at Mogo (just outside the Bay). I haven't been for many years now but if you like zoos & have kids with you, then it's good to see.
The trip from the Bay to Canberra can be slow at peak times due to (mostly Canberra) traffic. It's also a very steep climb to begin with to get over the Clyde Mountain. There are a few places along the way for pulling over if your car overheats but finding water could be a problem. The Kings Hwy is well known locally for the number of casualties it has claimed. I think the road surface is mostly quite good but the last time I went to the coast I could not believe the risks taken by some drivers & at ridiculous speeds around blind corners. Be wary.

Further south past the Bay is more of the same - scenic & pleasant driving with places of interest. If you & the car somehow end up arriving in Sydney day or two earlier you could continue on south.
Narooma & Bermagui are fishing towns with day trips to Montague Island (details on Trip Adviser). I did a fishing day trip to the island 45 years ago & it's still popular.
Merimbula & Pambula are almost adjoining holiday towns famous for their beautiful beaches.
The trip from Merimbula to Canberra is via Brown Mtn. It's a magnificently scenic (very hilly) road with through Candelo to Bemboka, then it's a steady climb up the Snowy Mtn Hwy towards Cooma, then another good hour to Canberra with everything in your favour.

Dave
0417 270 315
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 09:16:49 AM »

Just a vote for Mogo Zoo if you're going to be at Batemans Bay. You don't have to be a kid to enjoy it. Smiley

When we came back via Kings Hwy it was long stretches of roadworks, that was about 18 months ago. Hopefully most of that is resolved now.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »

Thanks guys
some great info that helps with our planning. This area is all new to us. and it probably helps others who are wondering which route to take.
Was looking at Woollyymalloo as end of day one as plane lands in Syd approx. 12.30pm. then I have to get the car at Villawood before cruising on our Nats drive. Or we take the 11.15pm Sun flight arriving Syd at 6.30 Monday morning  Shocked Shocked Shocked
 Then Woollymalloooo to Canberra is day 2 of the trip.
Just stopping for lunch on the way and a bit of sightseeing. Just wasn't sure on traffic and road conditions for timing (I don't trust Google maps )

Then if I don't do the Hume Hwy and I don't do this same route to get back to Sydney after the Nats which roads can I take (For more new lines on my map  Grin)
There doesn't seem to be many options. (No roads North of the Hume hwy ?)

Wagon is built for driving so big hills and road conditions are OK. We just did a 900mile round trip down through our Southwest which included a few (!!!) miles of gravel roads. (Denmark tourist people need to make their maps a bit clearer  Grin) NSW & ACT drivers seem to be just like West Aussie ones...some just don't understand the meaning of a solid double white line on the bends going over hills at twice the speed limit !

Ta
 Cool Cool Cool & Cathy

cruisin's great with a 58
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:49:21 AM »

Hi SB,

I can't help thinking if you're collecting the car Monday and will be in Canberra Tuesday night, that you might be better off looking at the coast road as the return leg, so you can take a bit more time to enjoy the scenery and whatnot.

Villawood to Canberra via Cowra is 300 miles. https://goo.gl/maps/Q6KA87ELC822

I know you went through Bathurst during the trip to the Orange Nats, but presumably you came through Parkes via Henry Parkes Way, and don't imagine you've been to Cowra or done the Lachlan Valley Way.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »

(No roads North of the Hume hwy ?)
Yes, the Great Dividing Range has dictated where the main roads could be built heading inland from the coast, up the steep side, across the tablelands & down the slopes to the west of the state.
There are many secondary roads that wander through the terrain to service the farming communities. The highways RET outlined form the most common link between major centres, & like anywhere else, present fewer unwanted surprises when you're on a timeline. These 'major' centres are not large cities. Yass, Boorowa & Cowra are part of a highly productive farming district. Cowra is close to where I come from & has a population of approx 10K. The Japanese POW cemetery & gardens are at Cowra. Bathurst is probably the next 'major' centre (pop 37K) where the Mt Panorama circuit is. Further on are the Blue Mtns & the famous Three Sisters on the Great Divide. From there it's a steep decent & onto the west of Sydney.
I don't know if you did the old Hume earlier but it's a scenic drive also with plenty of points of interest others here know all about.

Dave
0417 270 315
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 11:24:08 PM »
+1

That sounds like a very sensible idea RET
now why didn't I think of that  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes