FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:45:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Body Identification  (Read 9163 times)
ACT59FC
act-club

Model: FC

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »

This post is for Ken so that he can get his records straight. I purchased an October 59 FC Sedan and I could never read the identification with any surety because someone had painted over it with bitumen paint. I have had a day off and spent it removing the paint from the tag. I have the correct numbers for her now.  There were three coats of paint on the id plate being India Ivory, engine bay black and bitumen paint. No wonder I couldn't read the numbers. Were Holden so backward they had to paint their cars twice?

FC26197B

FC the Marilyn Monroe of Holdens. All the curves in exactly the right places!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 07:17:54 PM »

Thanks for that, I'll add these new numbers to my database.
Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »

Regarding the double paint colour on the firewall.
Your car's body was built in Sydney and the firewall would have been painted in body colour.
Once the car had the subframe added in Brisbane then the whole engine bay would have been painted in black as was the style of the late 1959 cars.

Ken
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 08:46:24 PM »

Thanks for that Ken, Im glad I could finally get you the correct numbers. Did the cars that stayed in Sydney get their firewalls painted twice too or was it just the cars they shipped to other areas? Im pretty sure Holden should have known what colour they needed to paint their cars and their firewalls as they came down the production line?

Regards Rod.

KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 08:52:18 PM »

The numbers are interesting.  Mine is, I believe, a September 59 Sydney body with the number 1388 lower than this car.  The chassis is Sydney.  The Brisbane chassis number on this car is 28 odd thousand lower than my Sydney.  Each assembly plant must have had their own chassis numbering system.  Mine only had one coat of black over the ID plate.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »

Wow Keith, that is interesting. It appears to me that the identification plates were attached to the bodies before they were built or even painted. It must have taken them a while to work out to put them on later so they stayed silver. Unless it was their intention to make the numbers as difficult to read as they could by filling the numbers with paint.

Regards Rod

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 10:02:24 PM »

Keith, first you are correct, each plant has there own chassis number system so trying to compare a Sydney chassis with a Brisbane chassis is not possible.
Sydney assembled cars would have the firewall painted after the subframe went on, so no double painting (apart from some overspray)
Rod, you also are correct, Holden did know the firewall would be black once finally assembled. But which is cheaper, to run the body colour over the firewall and the body is ready to ship to Brisbane, or change the paint to black, mask the car, paint the firewall black and then ship to Brisbane?
Traceability is difficult without ID plates on bodies. To eventually get unpainted plates must have meant Holden had an alternative system to maintain identification.
Ken
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 01:09:06 AM »

So to keep mine completely original I should paint my firewall in India Ivory the colour she left the factory in rather than the after thought black it was retro fitted with?

Do you suspect Brisbane was the only plant to double paint or do you suspect Adelaide did as well?

Also did the FC ever come out with a coloured firewall and the rest of the engine bay in black?

Rod

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 07:41:20 AM »

No, a late 59 FC has an all black engine bay - this is how your car left the Brisbane factory.

1958 and early 59 FC had coloured firewall and skirts black.

Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney all made and assembled cars so no double painting
Brisbane and Perth are the two assembly plants where bodies had to be freighted in.

Ken

MalFE
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 08:22:14 PM »

I don't know if this has been mentioned previously re date of manufacture.
There  is a stamping on the top of the steering box in my cars case it is stamped 13 J 7 which codes 13th day 9th month 1957 and the car was delivered on the 2nd of October 1957.

Mal.
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 07:40:26 AM »

I'm finding this all very interesting. Re painting of engine bays, my car is a 1958 ( October '58 we believe) with a Melbourne body number. it has never been restored. The whole engine bay, including firewall, skirts and back of radiator support panel are body colour. The colour has faded over the years but is obviously original. I have scratched a few places to check and there is no other colour under the original crystal blue. There appears to be a red oxide primer under the colour paint. the I.D plate was painted over.  Fraze
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:50 PM »

so a Nov '58 Sydney built FC Special Sedan had body color engine bay sides and a black firewall ..was the black satin ?

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 11:08:18 PM »

My8thholden I think, if you read the above posts the 58 didnt have a black firewall. It was body colour, the skirts etc were black, In the late 59 the whole lot was black.

Fraze on the other hand, thats interesting. Ill be interested to see what some of the Guru's say.

Regards Rod.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »

Fraze, that's very strange. Whilst I don't particularly take note of every car I see, I don't recall having seen another FC with all colour engine bay. These were the realm of the 57 FE.

Ken
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:06:14 PM »

My FC was all colour engine bay when it was 2 tone green.
Early 58 Sydney build.
Regards
Alex

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 05:11:20 PM »

My first FC was a '58 Olinda Green over Adobe Beige Special Sedan. The entire engine bay was beige. (Well, the bits that weren't faded or worn back to primer or permanently sealed in congealed engine fluids!)  Grin

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 03:19:14 PM »

My first FC was a '58 Olinda Green over Adobe Beige Special Sedan. The entire engine bay was beige. (Well, the bits that weren't faded or worn back to primer or permanently sealed in congealed engine fluids!)  Grin

Hi guys. This is another area which seems to vary from plant to plant. My Granite Grey/India very 57 FC has an all grey underbonnert which seems to be common for Pagewood built cars, well at least the 57 model.

It could be that most cars that mcl1959 sees are Dandenong & Woodville built cars.

Dr Terry
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 10:46:34 AM »

Hi Guys;
My Sedan was a Sydney built body with subchassis assembled on it in Brisbane, I believe it was a late 58 model.

When I purchased the car in 1996 the firewall and the inner engine bay were painted black but when I cleaned the black paint off of the firewall plate there was the original blue body colour on the plate underneath the black??

Because they had changed the original body colour I assume it was easier to paint the engine bay black.

Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: