FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:10:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bosch starter motor  (Read 5389 times)
Dave Lakin (Davo Lako)

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2017, 12:07:53 PM »

What is the correct colour for a1956 Bosch Starter motor?

When I was a young man I spent most of my money on cars , beer and women (in that order) ... the rest ... I just wasted !

Port Macquarie NSW
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »

I believe it is Bosch blue, but there are a lot of black starter motors around. Whether or not the black starters are all reconditioned seems implausible. I've seen a lot of low mileage cars with either blue or black.
Ken
ACT59FC
act-club

Model: FC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:23:15 PM »

My car is pretty original , after I washed all the grime, oil and dust of my engine I found the starter motor to be bosch blue in colour. I purchased another grey motor complete and after a clean up the starter was bosch blue in colour. I don't know the answer but I'm leaving mine the colour I found them in.

Rod

FC the Marilyn Monroe of Holdens. All the curves in exactly the right places!
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 02:27:14 PM »

Hmm.  FB/EKs certainly had Bosch blue four-brush starters and (if Bosch) voltage regulator covers.  FJs had orange 6-V two-brush starters, generators and voltage regulator covers.  I'm not so certain about FE/FC though, but my hunch is that the 12-V, two-brush Bosch starter would have been black, as were the FE/FC Bosch voltage regulator covers.  The paint colour would have been the way to tell a two-brush 12-V starter from its four-brush sibling in the field.

Of course, Rod, the only way to be sure is to pull the starter motor out, pop the commutator cover off, and see whether it's a two- or four-brush starter motor.  I think it would have been a common thing to replace a two-brush starter motor with a four-brush one.

Ken: Did four-brush starter motors find their way onto late production FCs, like paper-element air cleaners did?

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:56:42 PM »

My late 59 FC had an original 2 brush starter which was black along with the cover on the regulator. I fitted a 4 brush starter which was originally blue.  Another difference in the starters is in the end cap.  The black one has a very square end where the 4 brush cap is slightly rounded where the vertical meets the horizontal.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:25:16 PM »

My late '59 sedan has a blue 4 brush starter which I thought was original (not so sure now). The regulator cover appears to have always been black.

Dave
0417 270 315
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 10:47:41 PM »

Mine is an October 59 sedan with the paper air filter, perhaps there was a change in starter motors as well?

KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 08:07:15 AM »

Mine has the paper air filter also

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 09:28:02 PM »

No evidence in the parts book that the 4 brush starter began in the FC although it is highly likely that very late FC's changed over before the new model came down the production line.

Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »

Found this image on Facebook, it seems to illustrate why both blue and black starters and generators are possible

Ken
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 10:08:48 PM »

Did anyone notice the colour of the heads on those grey motors was a rust red like the starter motors?

Rod.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: