FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:28:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE Sedan Jack  (Read 5604 times)
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2017, 07:43:12 PM »

Can someone please clarify which type of jack came with the FE Sedan from the factory? I have been told bottle-type is for commercial vehicles and scissor-type for sedans. Which is correct so I can sleep tonight
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:06:56 PM »

My understanding is that it was a scissor jack supplied with the FE/FC and the bottle jack was standard supply with the utility and maybe? with the wagon.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »

Scissor jack requires the pressed support bracket fitted to sedans and I believe wagons adjacent the b-pillar between inner sill and floor. Enables lifting the entire sprung side of the car, which requires a fair lift to get the wheels off the ground. The commercials don't have these brackets so a bottle jack has to be used under the suspension. I assume GMH was expecting commercials to be potentially fully laden and too much weight to rely on supporting half the vehicle on one relatively flimsy point. Whereas any passengers would be expected to alight from the vehicle while the flat tyre was changed with the spare.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »

The FE FC scissor Jack is a bit of a rare item, it was weak in costruction and was superseded in the FB by a better scissor Jack with a ratchet handle.
This jack ran for a long time (about HR) and is easy to find and identify as it has a distinctive yellow decal on it with a pic of an FB on it.
The FE FC Jack is painted engine grey and has a small rectangular decal. It's most distinctive feature is that is has a T drive head and is a one piece handle unlike the bottle Jack which has a 2 piece handle and a square drive.

Ken
JohnBM
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 04:26:17 PM »

Ken, It would seem I have one of the rare ones, which came with the car. It is as you described it, the warning decal for its use also has the manufacturers name on it which was W. H. Wylie & Co Ltd from Hilton South Aust and the handle is one piece
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 10:04:58 PM »

Spot on John, that's the one

Ken
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 06:11:03 PM »

Where exactly was the jack and handle stored in FE/FC sedans?
Cheers, Ken  Huh
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 09:48:29 PM »

John.  Could you please post a picture of the jscj and handle.

Thanks

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 10:37:04 PM »

See attached pic of FC sedan Jack and tool kit from master parts book. I got these pics from Ken.

FC the Marilyn Monroe of Holdens. All the curves in exactly the right places!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »

As far as I can see, the jack and handle sits best tucked in behind the spare wheel. Because of not wanting to scratch paint etc, I usually wrap the jack and handle in a piece of cloth.
It does fit down in the quarter panel well, but I don't like the idea of getting some unintended dents in the rear quarter panel Shocked

Ken
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »

Later model 3 stage Wylie bottle jack on eBay - shows the single piece handle with square end & taper (see last photo).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-HOLDEN-JACK-FJ-FE-FC-FB-EK-EJ-EH-HD-HR-HK-HT-HG-HQ-HJ-HX-HZ-WB-TORANA-LC-LJ/222657123527?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Dave
0417 270 315
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »

Thanks Ken. I agree about the potential for dents. I've been storing mine behind the spare as well but was just curious as to where they were placed when leaving the factory.
Cheers, Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 02:14:45 PM »

I've not seen any photos that show the jack as stored from the factory.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: