FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:37:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Seat belt - bolt locations  (Read 3462 times)
camxsmith

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »

Hi all

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:25:26 PM »

Sorry Im guessing I hit post ..   Huh Huh

I have a couple of question on the bolt locations and plates.
   1. How far up the B pillar from the floor did every one put the seat belt anchor plates for a retractable seat belt.
   2. In the front and rear..  Whats the ruling for the middle seat belts, can they share a anchor point with outer seat belts. Or do they require there own anchor points.
   3. Could some one post an image or two of there rear seat anchor points would be great.. or  measurements

Thanks in advance..  Sorry for the previous post 
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:17:23 AM »

G'day Cam,

The requirements for where the seatbelts go depend on how fussy the certifying body are. Some people install belts, and never get them certified. Other people get them certified by the state motor registry (eg a RMS-certified inspection station in NSW). Others get their belts certified by an engineer as part of bigger modifications. Each of these bodies has there own views on what is OK, and what is not. It pays to check with your certifying body first. As an example, the NSW RMS station I used for my FB belts was happy with what I did. My engineer however looked at them and said that he would not have certified them.

There is a heap of guidance in the National Code of Practice (NCOP), which also calls up ADR4 and ADR5. To understand these documents, you damn near need to be a rocket scientist. To make things easier, I have documented a seat belt install (in an EK wagon), which is fully compliant with NCOP. It's written up into a Guide, using simple, plain English and lots of photos. The Guide is still a draft (I want to take some more photos of the final installation on my wagon), but is 95% done. If you would like an advance copy, please PM me an email address and I will send it.

Cheers,
Harv
GMHwagoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »

cam
        mine was passed by a ballarat engineer so must be alright
        the centre lap belt shares the same anchor points with the retractable drivers and passengers belts
        also with the rear lap belt is the same
        l have retractable belts at the front and  also about to put them in the rear ,only difference , mine is a wagon
        l can measure for you the height of the  front pillar mounts if you want  l drove the car for several years as is
         and the belts seemed comfortable enough

anytime your going passed bacchus marsh  drop in have a look

greg  (fcwagoon)

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 05:04:10 PM »

..... a Guide, using simple, plain English and lots of photos.

Harv, I have a copy of your guide that you sent a while back thanks & will use it when I install seat belts.
When I read through it I wondered why there isn't an even simpler approach by now for the floor mounts in our early Holdens.
Is it feasible to add print out pages as templates in your doc? When placed on the floor & aligned with points on the pan they could simplify marking the position of the holes.
I'm assuming there are 'sweet spots' that comply with NCOP/ADR4/ADR5 guides & engineers  (e.g.  avoiding potential debate over sharing points).

Am I too far out of the box?

Dave
0417 270 315
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 06:32:52 AM »

I had hoped it would be that easy, but it's not  Sad.

For standard vehicles, with standard seats, it would be possible to do. The problem is that every seat/floorpan combination gives different measurement results (eg an EK ute is likely to be different to an FC ute). There is a lot of flexibility when bench seats are present, less so with buckets. I would need to lay my hands on each model, and mark it out/do the calculations. About a half day job per vehicle. I have ready access to an EK wagon, EK ute and FB sedan (Harv's fleet  Grin), but would have to borrow the other vehicles. Probably worth doing, but would take me some time to do so.

If a vehicle has seat modifications, then it gets a lot harder - you need to do the calcs from scratch.

Cheers,
Harv
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 11:00:41 AM »

Thanks Harv,
I see what you mean & how the approach in the guide caters for more than just the standard vehicle with standard seats.

Dave
0417 270 315
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: