FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:12:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 1959 FC Rear Door Handles, Need to push in to work?  (Read 3560 times)
Brian_NZ

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »

Hi Guys,
I am in NZ and just failed a WOF in my 1959 FC as the rear doors do not open from the inside. Had the car 2 years, this is the forth WOF and the rear doors have never work, and the first time its failed  :lol:

I took off the old handles and the spline inside the handle was looking a bit worse for wear, but the spline on the shaft looks OK. so I got 2 new rear inside handles from rare spares and have installed them.

Trouble is they still just spin round and round, even with the new handles!

If I "Push" the handle into towards the door panel I can feel the splines "Click n mate" and the handle operates fine. But when I let go again the panel springs back towards the centre of the car and the handle just spins around and around?

I haven't tried taking the inner door panel skin off to have a look, not sure how to do that..? But the panel does seem to be very "spring loaded" forcing it out. The panel will push-spring towards the outside of the car quite a lot....
Is there a spring or something behind here?
Is there a known fix or likely culprit here before I try to take it to bits and guess?

If the new handle is pushed hard into the spline the door operates fine. Also the doors open and close from the outside perfect.

Many Thanks from Nelson NZ

Bri Smiley
GMHwagoon

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »

there should be a clip on the back of the handle
GMHwagoon

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 06:12:52 PM »

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »

I've found that the spring clips lose a little tension and allow the handle to ease off the spline a bit allowing it to spin. New springs will help, but you can try squeezing the clips together to tighten them.
Other things I have noticed is that there are two types of inner remote.
One has a much deeper chamfer than the other which means that it does not engage as well as the ones with more spline on the shaft.
Ken
Brian_NZ

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »

Thanks Guys,
I found the problem. Its faulty parts from Rare Spares in NZ. Seems like even though you pay top dollar at Rares you dont always get top parts   Huh

See attached image. The "Slots" for the clip which is a secondary operation after casting in China have been cut in the wrong place in some handles. I had a brand new in the box from the previous owner handle which was faulty. I explained the fault to Rares in CHCH and they checked their stock in-house. They had 5 in stock 3 were faulty 2 were OK   Roll Eyes
Also, one handle had the slot OK, but the internal "splines inside were to shallow, not allowing the handle to attach properly!

Would replace the new faulty one I had (I didnt purchase it) so I ordered 2x more.

When they arrived one was good, one was faulty....   Grin

They then posted me another which was also good. So I now have working rear interior door handles!

Pays to check the parts though aye!

Thanks for everyones help.

Bri

NB: Not sure how to post an image here??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: