FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:56:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch removal and reinstall  (Read 3328 times)
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2017, 02:31:16 PM »

I'm trying to pull a clutch plate off the old motor and put it on the new motor. The manual says I need a clutch bearing Centring tool.
I know it's probably a stupid question but what's its purpose in the Picture in the manual I can't see how it would help to centre the clutch plate or the flywheel.
I have not done this before .... Doesn't look too hard
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 03:25:04 PM »

Nick,

The clutch aligning tool is slipped through the driven plate, and then centres itself in the spigot bearing in the back of the crankshaft.
If you have an old gearbox input shaft you can use it as a clutch aligning tool.
Most car-parts outlets sell universal clutch aligning tools.

Or you can just align the clutch plate by hand:
Install the driven plate and pressure plate on the flywheel, and do the pressure plate bolts up finger-tight.
Make certain the clutch plate is around the right way though.
With your fingers, feel all the way around the outside of the pressure plate to see whether the driven plate is concentric with the pressure plate.
The older clutch plates are exactly the same outside diameter as the pressure plate.
The newer, replacement clutch plates are 200 mm OD, instead of 8" (203 mm).  So you're aiming for about 1.5 mm overlap all the way around.
Push the driven plate around with your fingers (if it won't move, undo the pressure plate bolts a bit) until it's concentric.
Then tighten the pressure plate bolts all the way up.
Install gearbox.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:41:48 PM »

Hi Nick,
Also remember to put a small amount of grease in the spigot bearing (in the end of the crank shaft). The gearbox input shaft aligning journal needs to rotate freely inside this bearing so some lubrication ensures this. If you don't then the input shaft may bind a bit and continue to rotate the input shaft so making it hard to change gears....

A small amount of grease is also required on the clutch throwout (or thrust) bearing journal.

Cheers,
Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:02:59 AM »

Thanks Boys
Ill try and get an alignment tool and give it a go this weekend.
Nick

Port Macquarie NSW
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 08:22:23 AM »

Getting a tool from Ken. but my next question is.
In the manual it says to align the X  the on the clutch plate and the fly wheel. I cant see anything.
Nick

Port Macquarie NSW
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 12:10:24 PM »

Nick,

The X stamp marks on the flywheel and pressure plate are an FX thing.  I've never seen them on later models.  But the manuals kept referring to X marks.
If present, the X marks will be on the rim of the flywheel, not the face; and on the pressure plate above one of the bolt holes.

They're an aid to keeping things in balance.  Mark the flywheel and pressure plate with liquid paper or a marker pen before disassembly, and reassemble with the marks in line.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »

I thought the standard clutch alignment tool was made by cutting 1' off the end of your mother's broom handle, then pretending you don't know what happened  Grin.

I've got a spare gearbox input shaft to use as the alignment tool. It's been loaned out a few times, and happy to loan it again if anyone needs it.

Cheers,
Harv

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: