FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:52:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch Shudder  (Read 2250 times)
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »

I have owned my original FE for near enough to 40 years, and would be grateful if someone could offer an explanation to my problem. The motor & gear box are the original ones and when taking off in first gear there is a distinctive 'chatter or shudder' experienced, more so after a run in the car, when it is hot. This has been so for some time. I have recently had the clutch done with a new kit and I hoped that the issue would've resolved itself, and also new rear engine mounts were put in.
The GMH Workshop Manual describes this problem with various options as to the cause, which I have checked out! It doesn't seem to be a major issue (I hope) because of the time it's been there, plus we've done two trips over East with no problems. Any input would be appreciated.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 06:17:20 PM »

John,

It's a Holden.  Clutch shudder comes standard.  All my Holdens do it.  And yes, the problem is more pronounced when the gearbox oil is hot.  I find that if I'm gentle on the clutch, and take off from rest with the engine at idle or a little faster, I can usually manage a shudder-free start.

The usual reasons advanced for clutch shudder are hard spots on the flywheel or pressure plate facings caused by heat from slipping the clutch too much; driven plate linings loose on the hub (the damper springs rattle when this happens); driven plate loose on the input shaft splines due to wear; runout of the flywheel face.

Now, in your case, the clutch and pressure plate are new, and the flywheel has been machined, and hopefully runs true.

If the input shaft has too much clearance in the spigot bush, this may also lead to clutch shudder.  But your clutch place probably didn't check the fit of the input shaft in the spigot bush when replacing your clutch (hardly anybody does).  Sometimes new clutch plates are a loose fit on the input shaft's splines (I've had that happen too).

Here's a strange-sounding checklist:

Are your rear shock absorbers in good condition, including mounting rubbers?
Are all your rear spring shackle rubbers, including spring eye rubbers, in good condition?
Is there enough oil in your rear axle?
Is there any looseness in the universal joints?
Is your gearbox full of the right grade oil?
Does the gearbox have excessive backlash in first gear?
Does the diff have excessive backlash, for that matter?

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
JohnBM
wa-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 02:49:09 PM »

Rob, thanks for the information, it's given me food for thought
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: