FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:28:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The "best" way to adjust a HR steering box.  (Read 5011 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: May 25, 2017, 08:43:11 PM »

I know there are a couple of methods aside from the factory method, but what is the best way to adjust to get the best steering response without destroying the box?
One video (generic box) says to undo the locknut, tighten screw until it just stops, lock off and drive.
Another video says to undo the lock nut and tighten the screw in 1/4 turn increments, test drive, adjust again until optimal.
I haven't read the factory way yet as I don't have a HR manual, but I want to know the best method that is going to give me some confidence in my steering.

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 10:09:11 PM »
+1

Be sure and take in to account the wear state of the worm shaft. They are invariably worn in the straight ahead position. If you adjust in this position it will bind when you turn. You must adjust off centre and put up with any slop in the straight ahead position I'm afraid.
My method is to raise front, turn 1/4 rotation one way, tighten to resistance, back off so wheel turns free and tighten lock nut. Then turn lock to lock to check free movement with no slop off centre. If there is no play in the straight ahead position after this you have a good box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »

Thanks Errol62

calmwaves

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 06:02:21 PM »

Be sure and take in to account the wear state of the worm shaft. They are invariably worn in the straight ahead position. If you adjust in this position it will bind when you turn. You must adjust off centre and put up with any slop in the straight ahead position I'm afraid.
My method is to raise front, turn 1/4 rotation one way, tighten to resistance, back off so wheel turns free and tighten lock nut. Then turn lock to lock to check free movement with no slop off centre. If there is no play in the straight ahead position after this you have a good box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This very helpful. Thanks for sharing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: