FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:35:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey motor not starting! Help appreciated  (Read 2263 times)
JakesFC

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:58:35 PM »

Hey guys, need some assistance please!
Recently changed the 138 grey motors head gasket and now she won't start!
All steps were followed by the Gregory, now she won't start, tappets are set at .13 inlet and .17 outlet, I can't get her warm and check the tappets at .08 (inlet) and .12(outlet). Electronic ignition has been implemented and does get spark.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »

Valve [cam] timing ? Did you allow for the spiral on the dizzy when you put it back in ? Give us a call if you get stuck . 55477094
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 11:30:17 AM »
+1

If the dizzy has been out and it's out by one tooth (because of the spiral), it should still fire. Just runs like crap (don't ask me how I know  Embarrassed). Wonder if the dizzy's been put in 180º out?

The timing mark/timing ball appears in the timing window when the dizzy is pointing to #1, but also when it is pointing to #6. If Jake was looking only for the timing mark/ball, he could have put the dizzy back in (aligned to #1) when the engine was ready for #6. He'll still get spark at the plugs, just not when the engine is ready.

To check, pull the rocker cover. Using the fan, turn the motor over until cylinder #1 is in the firing position. This can be seen by looking at cylinder #6 (the one closest to the firewall). Watch carefully until you can see one of the cylinder #6 rockers rising (and just stopping), and the other cylinder #6 rocker just starting to fall. This is referred to as cylinder #6 “rocking” (i.e. one rocker just finishing and one just starting). You should see the timing mark in the timing window. Now pull the dizzy cap, and make sure the rotor is pointing to #1. If it's pointing to #6, then the dizzy is 180º out.

Cheers,
Harv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: