FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:34:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE Steering -Missing part- help out a newbie!  (Read 10152 times)
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »

Hey everyone,

Its my first post here and I'm taking on a new hobbie.
So bear with me please while I get used to this forum!
A very long story short I have been around dirtbikes my whole life, a life changing accident has meant no more dirtbikes and I'm beginning a new project, restoring my Grandpa's 1957 FE Holden which I am excited about.
However it means I'm pretty green with the car stuff, but ill be building up my knowledge as I go.

Anyways, I'm missing a pretty crucial part that I need before I get it out the old barn where it has been living for the last 50 years.
Problem been- I don't know what part I'm missing or what it looks like before I go about finding one.

Can one of you kind sirs please help me out here?

And can someone please explain how to attach photos? haha. I'll be loading them with an IPhone. Then I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Thanks!
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:11:21 PM »

Get the Tapatalk app for iPhone. You can load photos within the app without saving or take a photo then load from phone memory. Put up some photos and someone till be able to tell you what's missing I'm sure.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »

Welcome gropedawg, and Grandpa's FE. You're a lucky man to have a family heirloom like that.

Now, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's not the wheel that's missing? Cheesy

At the other end of the steering column is the steering box, and under that is the pitman arm, that connects the gear that comes out of the steering box to the drag link, which is a tube that connects the two front wheels to make them move in unison. Is that any help?

Here are two tips for you:

1. Get a hold of the FE Workshop Manual. This is a phenomenal source of information about how these old girls come apart and go back together. They're on Ebay all the time, as well as motoring bookshops etc. It looks like one of these:

2. Get along to your local FE-FC Holden Club. Lots of people happy to help and cars to examine. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to learn from other people's mistakes than your own!

Finally, let's see some pix of Grandpa's car. If you're using an iPhone, grab the Tapatalk app and sign into the forum using that - it allows you to upload photos in your posts very easily.

Once again, welcome aboard!

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:38:31 AM »

Thanks Errol62 and RET!

I now have the tapatalk app and slowly getting the hang of this now. I will put up some photos of the car somewhere on this site soon.

I think you are on the money there- I did a 'mans look' in the 2 workshop manuels that I now have, so I will check that out more in future. But for now, these are the photos I have and I am assuming I'm missing something - pitman arm maybe?

👍🏻

DCE80
sa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:56:17 PM »

This recent thread will likely help
Draglink assembly
The bit of interest is missing to the right of you last pic. It is where the ball ends fit into the tube.
Dan
DCE80
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »

The bit laying on the ground under the ball ends
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:24:11 PM »

You may be missing the locator bushes spring spacer etc from your drag link tube. Supposed to be held on by a screw on plug and split pin. The ball ends may have just popped out from excessive wear on the other hand.

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »

Thanks very much!!

Things make a lot more sense now.
I'll do some more research,

there is no memory of any parts been taken from the steering so it quite well could have popped out from wear or age. I may just need to get it on a trailer and work it out once I get the car home Smiley

Here are some photos I just put up:

My FE

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=57690&share_tid=26509&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Efefcholden%2Eclub%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D26509&share_type=t

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 11:37:24 AM »

Hey all, I've finally got the car home and shed set up so I can begin work. Starting with pulling this draglink out, cleaning everything up then figuring out what parts I am missing.
My problem this morning is getting the nut off to release the pitman arm?? I want to release both pitman arms and the drag link so I can clean it up and finally get started somewhat.

It turns loosely roughly 3/4 turn both ways, clockwise and anti clockwise before binding up.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks, Adam

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 12:00:46 PM »

This is passenger side btw

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 02:51:33 PM »

Passenger's side, from the photos.  I think you mean the idler arm.

The idler arm bush (which is what you were trying to loosen) is a well-known trap for the unwary.  The bush is a right-hand thread in the arm, and a left-hand thread onto the support.  So, yes, you can loosen it from the arm, but then it binds on the support, as you just found.

No, instead you have to remove the idler arm and support complete.  Remove the two long 9/16" AF bolts attaching the idler arm support to the subframe. (On the passenger's side where the three Y-members come together).  Then when everything's on the bench, you can disassemble the drag link.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:38:51 PM »

Now that I've read the rest of the thread -

To remove the pitman arm, you'll need a pitman arm puller.  But beware - the retaining nut (1-1/4" AF) is supposed to be done up to 110 ft.lb., which is "bloody tight."  Absolutely, absolutely have someone inside the car holding the steering, with the pitman arm pointing straight ahead, when you undo the nut.

Pitman arm pullers are available from Repco, Supercheap possibly, and maybe also your local Rare Spares outlet.

Rob

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »

Thanks! I've been given advice where to disconnect the draglink tube instead so I'll pull that off and work on that for now. I'm slowly getting my head around this haha. Thanks again

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »

Howdy all! Getting my head around this finally.. I've gotten hold of a complete draglink assembly from a fellow FE friend which I am currently pulling apart, cleaning up and painting before I put back together. I'm thinking since I've come this far I'm going to give it a coat of killrust with a coat of primer. Thoughts on that idea??

Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »

Give it a good paint..always looks nice after a touch up.
just check the wear around the openings on the drag tube.
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »

I'm going to second what Nick says.  See how on the openings in the drag link (where the obtuse angles are), the tube has been pushed outwards?  Get a ball-pein hammer, and tap the angled bits back down.  Push one of the hemispherical plugs into the drag link after you've done the hammer work.  If the plug binds, you've gone too far (obviously).  But the aim is for the plug to slide freely inside the drag link with a minimum of side-to-side clearance.

After you've reassembled the drag link assembly, go nuts with a grease gun, until you see grease ooze out all around the covers.  It is much, much easier to assemble the drag link on the bench than under the car.  The pitman arm's already off.  This is good.  Unbolt the idler arm and support from the subframe too.

Rob

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 08:51:03 PM »

I would suggest if you can get a new draglink kit that would be worth fitting. Their is always lots of wear on old second hand parts. Also check for wear on the ball ends of the steering arm and the pitman arm

Ken
Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »

Howdy all- thanks for the advice everyone. I have put together one draglink using the best parts from two draglinks, cleaned it up painted and last night assembled it. Happy days!

Going to look for a pitman arm pulled to pull the existing idler arm off the car. Where would I best be able to find one?

Thanks, Adam

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »

Howdy all- thanks for the advice everyone. I have put together one draglink using the best parts from two draglinks, cleaned it up painted and last night assembled it. Happy days!

Going to look for a pitman arm puller to pull the existing steering connecting rod off the car. Where would I best be able to find one?

Thanks, Adam

Gropedawg57

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 03:29:30 PM »

I forgot the Springs and cover plates so they are in now. And got hold a pitman arm puller!
Time to put it all back on the car Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: