FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 02:51:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ECM and Spark box fitup EFI.  (Read 1954 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: August 05, 2003, 04:15:54 AM »

Hello,

An EFI related question.

Would mounting the ECM in close proximity to the spark box cause any adverse effects for either of the components mentioned??

I am considering mounting the ECM near the spark box but dont want any undeu noise to affect anything?

Any ideas?  Im hiding all my components (in cabin), but if it means poor performance then I rather look at it instead.

If you have hooked up EFI where did u put ur ECM?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 04:52:29 AM »

I figure that the engineers at GMH would know the best position for the ECU, so that's what I used.
For a man that can make up fibreglass demister ducts I reckon a moulded kick-board to cover the ECU should be no problem.
Cheers, George.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 06:04:28 AM by sgo » Logged

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 05:06:50 AM »

Hi George,

I was thinking of leaving it there too, so when I need to look at the codes, the ALDL is easy within reach and I dont need to be a contortionist to earth the link and read the light at the same time.

I want to mount the spark box behind the firewall (in the cabin) as well as the hordes of relays (purely aesthetic reasons).

Can u (or anybody?) see any potential probs etc??

Of course... relays etc are easier to access in the engine bay...

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
craiga
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 05:35:06 AM »

Ed,

Early ECU's had LOTS of problems with Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) which included things such as HT spark plugs leads (escpecially in early VN's with VERY high voltages present), radios in cabs, and airport control towers. I was employed as an Electronics Technician repairing Auto Diagnostic Equipment when VN's/EA's first came out and you would hear all sorts of stories. Like the calls the NRMA recieved from car owners stranded in the airport tunnel with cars that wouldn't run. They would tow them 100 metres down the road, and broom off they would go!!

The moral to the story is ground everything very well and mount the ECU as SGO says - inside the car away from all the RFI action. Don't do what they did with the Peugeot Mi16 and mount the ECU under the rear guard. Wacky french bastards or what  Grin

Other cars had it mounted under the front seat which is a good spot, easy to get to, and where most blokes mount MSD's and the like.

Cheers,

Craig.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 08:07:39 PM »

ahh good point!

Looks like I will replicate factory(ish) placement.

thanks for the pointers

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: