FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:04:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Holden Rear Indicators  (Read 15327 times)
John G

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »

Hi, I have recently purchased a fully restored 1958 FC Holden Special Sedan.  The vehicle has been restored as per original specs and hence the rear indicators are combined with the rear stop Lights ie the rear Brake lights flash.  The rear tail-light/brake light assembly is fitted with amber lenses for indicators and has globes with wiring but as I said previously, only the brake lights flash when indicators are on. I have seen on this forum that a discussion took place back in July 2005 where it was stated that it was a simple matter to modify wiring to make the indicators work from the lower amber lenses and globes but I could not find how this is done.  Can anyone supply with instructions or a diagram as I would like to make this modification.

Thanks

John
Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Model: FC

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 06:59:52 AM »

Welcome John
Show us some pictures first! Cheesy ( I don't know!)
Nick

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »

This is made a bit more difficult since it appears your wiring has already been fiddled with and it impossible to know what's been done without looking at it.
If we assume that it is stock as per below from the FE manual

The aim is to remove the brake lights from the indicator system so that it appears like the FB diagram below.

Under the column there are 7 wires emerging. Tan is the horn - leave this alone. The other 6 are light & dark blue(front indicators), pink & violet(rear indicators), yellow(flasher) and white(stop light)
Unplug the stop light and the pink and violet wires from the column. Connect the stop light switch to the pink and violet wires. You now have red brake and tail lights but no rear indicators.
Tape up the 3 wires left protruding from the column (you don't want these shorting out)

Run 2 new wires to the rear of the car for the indicators and connect to the light and dark blue wires as shown on the FB diagram. All that remains is to connect globe holders and plug these into the lower light holders and now you have the Orange rear indicators.

My 5 cents worth- if it's a fully restored original car then it would be best to leave the lights as they are, but fit the tail lights with the clear lower lenses.

Ken
John G

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »

Thanks Ken.  I hear what you say about keeping it original but for me the amber indicator lens modification is the way I want to go.  I have had comments from people immediately behind me, when travelling on a car club run, that the indicators are not easy to see.  Hence the preference to make the change.
John
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »

I'll be going the same way with separate indicators for the very same reason.
An orange globe in a clear lower lens seems like a happy compromise.

Dave
0417 270 315
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »

That's my preference to Dave, my last FE had orange globes inside clear outer lenses. The Orange globes I got had offset pins which would not fit in the globe holder so I filed off one pin and installed the globe no problems.
Maybe there is an orange globe out there with the correct pins but I couldn't find them.

Ken
strop

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »

ba15s led globes are readily available on ebay in amber. I use these with an appropriate resistor.
Globes.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Amber-1156-P21W-Ba15s-27-5050-SMD-LED-Brake-Tail-Turn-Signal-Rear-Light-Bulb-12V-/221962263146?var=&hash=item33adfb5a6a:m:mVexW9xM7uX52ajiZutpQDQ 
Resistors
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50W-6-ohm-load-resistor-for-Car-Indicator-LED-lamp-CT-/302144350914?hash=item465934eac2:g:Gf0AAOSwiDFYMpEO
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 04:20:32 PM »

Now that's a light globe Cool
Thanks for the info strop

Ken
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 11:29:33 PM »

AND.....
If you buy them like I did you will find they are about a bee's Dick too long and you can't fit the dam lens 😵

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »

When I do a rewire on a project ,if its not going to be original I will run trailer wire from the dash back and try to match the colours to the trailer plug . It just makes it easier later . Haydn
FC Dave

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »

I did the same as Hadyn. Mine wasn't original or complete, so ran 5 core trailer wire to the back of the wagon & used amber lenses as my clears were broken.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
+1

I have had comments from people immediately behind me, when travelling on a car club run, that the indicators are not easy to see.

If your indicators are hard to see, then your brake lights can't be that crash hot either. There are an awful lot of FEs and FCs out there with flashing brake light indicators. Maybe there's something else amiss?

Just my personal opinion, but you'll take my flashing brake lights from my cold, dead fingers. When GM-H decided to include indicators on the new model, that's how they designed them. They're part of what makes an FE Holden, well, Special.

I also find hand-signalling out the window helps if you're concerned other drivers are oblivious. It's so uncommon these days it demands attention.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »

A near miss caused me to fit amber lens and globes now nobody misunderstands my intentions .love to see Ret doing his left turn hand signal .cheers   Wink

Sale Victioria
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 05:08:24 PM »
+1

Before I fitted indicators to my FX I used to do a huge big pantomime "arm-out-the-window - point-up - point-left-over-the-roof" thing, and then just change lanes anyway.

Mind you, I notice that a lot of other motorists will do whatever it takes to get in front of me in traffic.  Must be something about the perceived insult of being stuck behind an old Holden, but that's another rant for another day.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »

Quick question, thought I read someone said FCs had yellow indicators?
I'm assuming the reference is to the rear taillights as I've only seen clear front ones but I have seen yellow/orange lens for the rear but I thought these were all modern to comply with road rules?
fe van
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »

Just in case you change your mind, you can get globes that are up to 30% brighter than standard globes, most of the spare parts shops carry them or you can paint the base of the tail light assembly white or a chrome type paint this helps, we have done this to other smaller tail lights in the past to make them a bit brighter, I personally light the brake light indicator but unfortunately if people aren't paying attention they wont see any form of lighting.
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2018, 09:50:02 AM »

Quick question, thought I read someone said FCs had yellow indicators?

Using an amber globe in a clear lens is a recent adaptation.
Here's clarity on the topic .......
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/fcpaintstyles.html

Dave
0417 270 315
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »

Brilliant, thanks
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 06:23:18 AM »

In 23 years of driving my FC's I've never had a near miss because of the red indicators.

It's one of the great things that sets our cars apart from the everyday humdrum in my opinion.

I'm with RET here "you'll take my flashing brake lights from my cold, dead fingers".
This is the way Holden designed them and you can't improve on perfection.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

Cheers, Graham
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 07:59:30 AM »

Just in case you change your mind, you can get globes that are up to 30% brighter than standard globes, most of the spare parts shops carry them or you can paint the base of the tail light assembly white or a chrome type paint this helps, we have done this to other smaller tail lights in the past to make them a bit brighter, I personally light the brake light indicator but unfortunately if people aren't paying attention they wont see any form of lighting.

Not sure what I'll be doing. Once the ute's all back together first thing to check is what is working light wise, no idea yet if they even work properly. But will have a look at some of the ideas in as to making them as bright as I can that's for sure. Just looking at them atm as have taken them out while cleaning up around and underneath them and pondering on wiring as will have to disconnect the globes etc so I can put in new grommets and hosing to protect the bit that goes under the car.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: