FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:12:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Whealey FC long roof  (Read 60777 times)
Luke Healey

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »

Hey guy's

Though I would start with some project photos

Plans are as follows
Rebuild the 186, trimatic, Hr diff
Castlemaine rod shop front end
Hz master
15" smoothies
As low as possible
Billet column and moon wheel
White interior
Seat belts
Surf racks and board
Venetians
Visor

Going for a beach rod look.

Have stripped interior and started converting and painting rust (will blast and paint in future rebuild it is pretty good for now). Has alot of dodgy work in the car that will be replaced.

In south coast Nsw. Any one on here near me? I am new to Holdens. Have played with Vw before.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
Luke Healey

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 08:51:04 PM »

First photo is from previous owner

camxsmith

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »

Hi  What a great starter car..  Love the plans and you look like you have made a great start..  keep the pictures coming..   Cam
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »

Great wagon. Hope all goes well.

Regards

Wayne b
ekute

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 06:07:05 PM »

Hi Whealey there's a couple of us in Batemans Bay. Then others further north. Give me a call if you want some help. Cheers , Mark 0431 746304

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 10:21:43 AM »

Looks like a great project . I was just wondering if you have chosen ready built conversions for convenience or do you have a preference for these conversions ? There are plenty of guys on this forum for example ,who could help you with front end and steering column conversions and I can guarantee you will have a better unit .

Just saying there are people who can help you with bespoke stuff if you wish to do some of it yourself .Cheers Haydn
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 10:51:08 AM »

Really nice project that you've got there.
I think your plans are excellent

Haydn I think you should check your drawing again

Ken
Luke Healey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 02:23:21 PM »

Thanks for the number mark.

Haydn.
It already has a hr front end with a rear mouth wb rack. Having issues with the universals locking up when turning due to angle. So yes I was looking at replacement of the front end for both convenience and a better feel on the road.
As for the column I am yet to work that out. The one in the car was held in with angle iron and hose clamps to make it collapsible.
There's already an aircon kit in the car.
Trimatic already has floor shift just shudders in reverse so needs a rear build.
Have been searching the forum but not always getting the answers I was after. Still an awesome resource though.
As for more photos. Here you go

Luke Healey

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 02:25:34 PM »

Sorry vb rack not wb

Luke Healey

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 02:49:03 PM »

If anyone can point me in the direction of some decent posts that can help me with the mods I am looking at doing including suggested cheaper or better options that would be highly appreciated

ekute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »

Hi Haydn, early Holden's are a bit like splitties, you can spend and spend then double the $ and it still a 50 or 60 year old vehicle!
You have a good base to work from and can get good results out of recoing the front end and even stock steering, unless the column and r&p was an engineers requirement. If it was passed by an engineer then don't refer anyone else to him!
Have we met thru dsk?
Cheers Mark

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 06:09:20 PM »

Yeah ,wrong side . Oops . Anyway as for the problem with the steering column .I would make a steel cup at the bottom of the column where it should be welded to the floor plate so as to recess the universal joint into the firewall . This is best measured with the column and shaft in place as the column usually needs to go through the floor slightly higher up than original . To tell the truth my old van has the starter motor brush cover off a side plate starter welded to the floor plate to recess the uni., By moving the universal up to a position inside the floor pan it makes the angle of the intermediate shaft less and that will fix the steering . I am guessing that's a FB EK steering column or similar . You can use a FE FC steering column top section and a commodore bottom section with the expanded metal section [outer ] and make the column any length you need . If you use HQ steering arms[the short ones around 100mm from the back mounting bolt to the tie rod end hole]  and commodore tie rods you don't need what looks like adaptors on those tie rods . The shudder in reverse could be the rear mount position as the gearbox cross member on lots of conversions is not where it should be allowing the transmission to move about. Like I said you have a great base for what could be an ideal build and it looks like you have most everything you need . If there is anything I can help you with I will be happy to do so . Cheers Haydn
Luke Healey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 08:51:51 PM »

Hey Mark,
My name is Luke,
Not sure what you mean by dsk.
My dad does keep saying "sounds like your trying to make an old car to new"
I was chasing kombis for a while as I use to own one.
Though Holden was a better price and more parts available.
Rack and pinion and column engineered in QLD so don't know who allowed that to pass. I am in Nsw. I have to have collapsible because of 186 and the 20% power regulations.

Hayden,

Must thankyou again for taking the time out to reply. I work in aviation maintenance so I have the hand skills required. Just not alot of know how as this is my first Holden.
So you really think I am better of to rebuild the hr front that is in it now. I don't mind spending the cash on the ifs if it is a decent upgrade. Plan on having the car  for the next 40 years anyway so thought it may be a worthwhile investment. Would still like to talk to someone who has run a ifs front end.
That all said I am happy to change plans if it's not a sensible option

Thanks again

Luke.

ekute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 10:47:44 PM »

Hey Luke, sorry about mixing up your name, us oldtimers ain't to good with forum stuff! I thought we might have crossed paths because until January this year I had a split screen Kombi and an fe Holden. Dsk is a splittie forum.

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 06:50:13 AM »

Did front end conversions for Rods Racks for a couple of decades up here in Qld. and have seen lots of dodgy work but never seen anything like that ,and yes if its bigger than 186 it needs a collapsible column . That's what I was suggesting in my post regarding making it yourself . My van is collapsible and its just a bored 173 and I did it to reposition the steering wheel . Guess what I am saying is it takes less money if you have more time to think about the build and you will come up with something very drivable . Haydn 
Luke Healey

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 05:38:24 PM »

So thanks to your supportive comments (Hayden in particular) have decided to give rebuilding the front end a go. Have fitted the original column about 3" further back and it has made a huge difference to the steering. The rack won't reach the attachment points any more so cable tied it for the test. Ps live cable ties. Have a lj torana rack available if you think this would suit?
Added other photos so you can give me more great suggestions

Luke Healey

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »

Dose John kean auto tune mean anything to anyone?
It's stamped in my hr front end

Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »

Stan Kean Dynotune?

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 06:58:27 PM »

John Kean Auto Tune
242 South Pine Rd, Enoggera, QLD 4051
??

Dave
0417 270 315
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 08:18:35 PM »
+1

John 's getting a bit long in the tooth now days .I first met him back in the 70's first FX FJ club in Qld. He has been part of the brains {conversions guy] at the Qld Department of Transport for many years and in the 90,s I had a FC wagon with his first HR conversion in it  . Looks like someone removed 175mm from your commodore rack ,hence the dent in the side of the sump[I didn't remove quite that much off the rack so I have some clearance] . Just large enough on the cup at the bottom of the column to clear the uni. or the pedal may cast . By the way weld the two floor plates together before cutting the hole as you may need to patch the hole and reposition the recessed cup before welding the column to the floor plate . My rack boots barely clear grease nipples on the lower inners to give you an Idea of position . Like I said Mark message me and I can help you with all of this . What you are doing is [was] a common conversion and not only very straight forward but if done correctly [steering ,suspension and gear ratio ] will give you a reliable and easy ride . I don't like to give too much advice on the forum because not all my ideas suit everybody . For example I would go with a later model on the fire wall booster and sell the VH40 or keep it for a manual ,I say this because I would put the brake where the clutch pedal is now giving enough room for a large diaphragm booster . I only shorten racks by 155 instead of 175 and I find the bump steer is non existent ,then in doing so you have room for your oil filter and your ignition coil and you can give the UC Torana Starfire filter adaptor to someone else . In any case message me . Haydn   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: