FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 10:38:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: VH/44JA brake booster  (Read 9474 times)
leon

Model: FE

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:05:41 PM »

Hi, can anyone tell me is a VH/44JA brake booster unit suitable for an all drum FC holden.
Any technical advice would be appreciated.
Regards.
Leon

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »

Leon, generally VH44 boosters are for all drum brake cars, the extra letters define exactly what car it was for, since some cars had bigger drums than others requiring a bit more boost.
I don't have access to a booster book anymore so you would probably have to go to a brake shop to find out exactly what the booster came off.
Holdens, Falcons and Valiants were all pretty much the same in the drum brake era so it would be unlikely that the booster would not be suitable at all.
VH 40 boosters fit the disc drum cars.

Ken
ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 02:54:14 PM »

My bible when it comes to Holden brakes, boosters are mentioned as they where introduced or optional on respective models.

http://www.hoppers.com.au/stoppin%20holden.htm

Cheers Keith
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »

My Mums old HG wagon had a 44 . Boosted all 4 drums . They worked ok under normal conditions but if one wheel goes down for any reason you still got boost on the others and that can be interesting .
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 08:06:11 AM »

Mm... HGs have dual circuit brakes. Can't see how that could work Haydn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 04:03:02 PM »

I went down to Hoppers Stoppers and had a look at a Booster catalogue.
The typical output pressure for a VH40 is around 1300 to 1400 psi.
The following are output pressures for VH44 boosters
VH44 - 820 psi
VH44B - 950 psi
VH44D - 780 psi
VH44F - 950 psi
VH44J - 1270 psi
VH44P - 820 psi
That would indicate that a 44J would be getting towards too strong for an FC

Interestingly a couple of VH 40's would be suitable for the FC with 4 wheel drums
VH40D and VH40F both have an output pressure of 840 psi

Ken
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »

Just out of intrest ken whats a VH24 put out in comparison ?
I have a NOS one it was in a little crate with straw when i got it that came with a job lot but never fitted it to anything as i didnt know if they made much difference .

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 07:58:22 PM »

Unfortunately the VH24 was not in the catalogue.
I had one fitted to the 3 door van, however, and I can say it is similar to the low value VH44 figures
It certainly did make a difference and looked good as well.

Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 08:02:54 PM »

This one is not mine by the way, it's from accessory of the week

Ken
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 06:24:20 AM »

My question ,and pardon me if I am ignorant but wouldn't the output pressure[potential pressure] of a booster depend on the vacuum and the strength of the diaphragm . Just wondering because many years ago I had a fail in a vh40 and successfully repaired a diaphragm with a vulcanising patch . 
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 08:15:21 AM »

My question ,and pardon me if I am ignorant but wouldn't the output pressure[potential pressure] of a booster depend on the vacuum and the strength of the diaphragm . Just wondering because many years ago I had a fail in a vh40 and successfully repaired a diaphragm with a vulcanising patch . 

Not quite. The main difference between those boosters is the cylinder bore. They all use the same size diaphragm.

The available vacuum from a petrol engine cant be any higher than 19-inches at idle & high 20s during deceleration, so the maximum force applied by the diaphragm can't be altered. Basically the smaller the bore the higher the pressure. So from that table the VH44/VH44P had the largest bore cylinder, while the VH44J had the smallest. Mods to the booster can alter the rate of application, but the max pressure is limited by the size of the diaphragm versus the size of the bore.

Dr Terry
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 04:21:52 PM »

I can confirm what Dr Terry says
The VH44 and VH44P have a 3/4 inch bore whilst the VH44J has a 5/8 inch bore from the catalogue.

Ken
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 07:51:31 AM »

So ,my next question is ,are we going to get 19  inches from our old sideplate or do we need a non return valve on the line as some little nissans do ?
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »

So ,my next question is ,are we going to get 19  inches from our old sideplate or do we need a non return valve on the line as some little nissans do ?

All vacuum brake boosters have a check valve somewhere in the system,. Most PBRs have it where the vac hose attaches to the booster. It is part of this fitting.

Unless you put in a lumpy can you will have plenty of vacuum. Even then you will get heaps of vacuum on deceleration, the one-way check valve then stores it for the next brake application..

Dr Terry
leon

Model: FE

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 12:13:01 PM »

I'm getting back to all those most helpful considerations on this topic and to let you all know I decided to go with the VH/44J on my FC Standard bussiness sedan, It performs like a treat.
The booster was purchased from Burt brothers of Fairfield in N.S.W. who told me this booster would be suitable for my car.
regards.
Leon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: