FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:02:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: BOOT SPRING BOLTS  (Read 2788 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2003, 06:52:39 AM »

Craig A mentioned on this site that you can get or have made BOOT HINGE bolts that are adjustable some how?

I think the idea is to fit these bolts into the spring centres as normal, then just wind the bolts up to the correct tension and youre done, instead of making a special tool, and winding up the spring first before fitting and tightening the bolts.

I am wandering if anyone else knows about these things and if so, are they any good, and where to get them from....

i asked Craig A, but he advised to put a posting on this site...so here it is .....

Can anyone help ?

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 07:56:01 AM »

Hello Blown FC
I have just fitted a boot spring to my FE, one broke the other day & luckily I had a spare.

There are 2 types, a 1cm wide & 2 cm wide, obviously the wider one is best.

If it appears to be a good spring, locate the centre of it in the slot with the curled over lip towards the bottom.

Prop the boot open as far as it will go on the opposite side to which you are working so you don't knock it out Shocked

Place a blanket against the 1/4 panel & over the inner guard to prevent mishaps.

Locate a dirty big staight edge screwdriver (the bigger the better) into the curled over lip part & push it up toward the lug it locks into.

After about 5 attempts, go & have a beer, go back & have another go & most likely, success  Grin

Good luck, Gary

fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 09:29:50 AM »

Gary,

I could never get my boot spring on properly for all my trying......now I know why.....I didn't have that damn beer after the 5th try....

Brad
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 09:49:16 AM »

Thats it Brad, WD40 for the muscles  Smiley
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 11:17:20 AM »

Adjustable boot springs were an item created as a retro fit. They were most likely made in an engineering or machine shop. I have a pair in my FC, and pulled one out so you could have a better look. This one was made as a one piece unit, with the center nut being part of the bolt itself.
Here is how they work:
The bolt obviously has several key features.
A slot for the spring. A hole in the end for split pin to hold spring on. A nut about half way down. Note that this nut is fairly thin, to allow the hinge to seat in alignment. Thread on one end to take the locking nut.
The bolt goes through the cars support in the place of the original spring pin, using a washer. This pin is easily removed with vice grips and a bit of muscle, should snap off leaving a neat hole the correct size. Next, the boot hinge goes on the pin. The hole in the hinge may need to be enlarged to fit. Slide the spring into the groove, ensuring the lug on the end is facing the right way. Insert split pin into hole in end. On the threaded end, throw on a couple of washers and a nut and tighten. To adjust, throw a spanner on the outer nut (spring side) and tighten up tension on the spring. Nip up the inside nut to lock in place. you may need to tighten or loosen as you check the boots movement. You should be able to get the adjustment so that the boot stays up in the half open position. I also use a second nut to lock the whole thing from moving, but I guess a spring washer would do.

This bolt could be made using a bolt and a few power tools at home. Cut the head off a bolt. Cut a groove into it. Drill a hole in the end. Cut a nut in half and weld half to the bolt. Use the other half as the locking nut. You would have to be carefull of weld placement to allow clearances etc. These pics should help someone reproduce the whole set up.
If you need a pic of the bolt in place or any further details, please ask.
Regards
Alex

Mine is showing a bit of wear, might need to hit it with the mig and fill that groove.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 01, 2003, 11:23:19 AM by custom_fc » Logged

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2003, 11:28:13 AM »

Another angle.
Regards
Alex

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2003, 10:02:38 PM »

These bolts were replaced very early in this FCs life.
Just 19,000miles and a little over 3 years old.
Price 19 shillings and 6 pence (just under $2).
You can make these at home as Alex said and if you haven't got a welder you can drill a hole through the nut and bolt and tap in a roll pin and locktite.
Hope this helps.
Regards ACE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: