FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:03:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Adelaide Business sedan Production  (Read 16726 times)
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2016, 07:59:25 PM »

mc59 One thing that's missing is the date you bought the car  Grin. Was the black paint the original paint or had it been resprayed already?

When you say that you bought the car as a 17 yo, was this 20 years ago or 50 years ago? Roll Eyes

Ken
mc59
sa-club

Model: FC

GMH Production Line

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 08:43:42 PM »

I bought it in 1986... I think Smiley  My first car, I was still at high school, 30 years of memories now. I took a day off school and drove with my dad to pick it up. Broke down in the middle of a busy intersection on the way home  Cheesy . It was my daily drive for nearly 10 years. Back when occasionally you'd pass another old one on the road. Rarely see one now.

I'm not sure if it had been resprayed. I've only just learned in the last few months that the original colour was black. I used to think the original colour was that of the dash face in this picture.

There was some bad crows feet / cracking in the paint on the rear panel between the boot lid and rear window which made me think it had been resprayed a bit thick in that area. I recently discovered it was originally a high gloss black with fall red interior so maybe it was the original paint.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 09:14:45 PM »

Ah yes, the black sedans are a bit of a mystery, the all black specials almost always had a coloured interior. Either silver or red paint on the dash, doors and pillars.
Most black standard sedans had black interiors same as the exterior but the business sedans appear to have the coloured interior paint like the specials.

Ken
detective

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2016, 07:39:58 PM »

..On a general note, a  friends father had an FB 217 around 1976-77....much info on them ones Ken ?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 08:26:23 PM »

If the FB 217 could be proved to exist, it would be pretty special since GMH never made them. Huh
217 production ended in late 1959.

Ken
detective

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2016, 09:25:56 PM »

...thanks Ken  ..  it was a long time ago, and i'm probably confusing it being a 217 because it had been a taxi in her previous life and must've been a 215...Cheers
Glen

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 05:05:52 PM »

Hi MC59 beautifull car you have.

How did you fit the special stainless strips to the doors and guards? Did you make holes for the clips in the panels? I have new old stock doors I'd like to fit to my special but I really don't want to make the slotted holed in them.
mc59
sa-club

GMH Production Line

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 01:22:54 AM »

Hi and thanks.
From memory I measured carefully where the strips were to go then inserted the clips into position in the strips. I then put a dab of grease onto the clips and screws and touched them to the panels. Where there was a dab of grease on the panels I drilled a hole. To do it without drilling you would need a good quality double sided tape. If you do end up using clips, I ruined a strip using too much force pushing it on. So use caution.
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 08:00:46 AM »

Blu-tac when your close ?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2016, 05:32:40 PM »
+1

I've added stripe kits to cars before and the way I do it is to place masking tape along the area where the stripe goes and then place the stripe in position. Use more masking tape to hold a series of stripes on until everything is perfect.
Then with a pencil mark out the stripe position above and below.
Then Remove the stripes and Mark out a mid position at even spacings along the stripe.
The masking tape also helps stop drill slip as well.
I would use the S type clips which have a bolt attached. Insert clips in the stripes and Slide all the bolts through the newly drilled holes and then attach washers and nuts.

Ken
Glen

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 11:04:40 AM »

I slighty dinted the rear quarter strips on my grey one when I fitted them years ago. I reckon they are the hardest ones to fit on a '58 special if original clips are used.

I bought this one recently. Its a 215 and the stainless strips are all just siliconed on.

mc59
sa-club

GMH Production Line

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »

That's a great picture Glen. Those 2 look like they have a lot of stories to tell.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: