FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:32:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Harmonic Balancer  (Read 3540 times)
snuff69

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »

Hi all    On my return from the HOH Classic Cruze last weekend I noticiced a bit of a knocking noise coming from the engine. Had a look today and  the harmonic balance is buggered. The rivets are loose and the balancer plate has come loose and making the noise. Pulled it off. Had a look at the Rares ones on the net and wondered how you fit them, they dont seem to have the thread for the tools. Also there is talk of narrow and wide ones, what size are what? I have a couple of old engines out at my Father in laws, one I know is an EJ and the other came out of an FJ but what it came from originally who knows. Is it ok to fit old ones if they seem OK?  Any advice very much appreciated.  Oh were talking grey motors here.  Thanks Dave
GreyFC

Model: other Holden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 08:44:29 PM »

The early ones had a wide belt.  I forgot what models exactly where it swapped.  I did not think you could repair them but you can buy new ones.  I think I have both at home I will take a photo side by side tomorrow for you.

DCE80
sa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 09:46:55 PM »

Harv has posted this on FB EK site

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15408&sid=8caa169e1cfc52b8e4d97f1deff3c88f&start=15

I found it while looking for same info.

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »

Had a look at the Rares ones on the net and wondered how you fit them, they dont seem to have the thread for the tools.
The reproduction ones don't have the centre bore threaded to 1 1/8"UNF. Instead, they have three holes tapped to 3/8-24UNF on a 2 13/16” (71.44mm) PCD, just like a red motor balancer. The reproduction ones tap on similarly to the original ones, using a block of wood to protect the face of the balancer. When removing the reproduction ones, you use a three-legged puller (available from SuperCheap) instead of the original "bolt in bolt" type puller.

Also there is talk of narrow and wide ones, what size are what?
These are Rare Spares part number 7401305 for the wide-belt FX/FJ (PowerBond part number HB17B-N), suitable for a 13A belt,and 7408676 for the narrow-belt FE-EJ style (HB1049-N) for an 11A belt. Ross Tuffbond also make a balancer, though it needs fan modifications to fit a grey.

Is it ok to fit old ones if they seem OK?
Yes, but it is always a bit of a gamble... the old one can be buggered too  Embarrassed. Look for loose rivets, and a lip cut on the shaft by the timing case seal... discard those ones.

Cheers,
Harv
snuff69

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys, your're right Harv the other old ones I had had loose rivets too  Angry  Looks like the wife's going for a drive to Brisbane to Rares for a new one. Have to be ready for the Nats.    Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: