FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:32:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: dash knobs  (Read 7031 times)
ACT59FC
act-club

Model: FC

View Profile WWW
« on: November 21, 2015, 11:14:44 PM »

Can anyone tell me how you remove the knobs from the light and wiper switch on the dash. I'm not sure if they screw off or pull off. All I know is I don't want to break one.

FC the Marilyn Monroe of Holdens. All the curves in exactly the right places!
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 11:27:35 PM »

The wiper knob has a little slotted grub screw at the back of the knob just before where the shaft is visible that holds it onto the shaft. You can remove the whole knob and shaft from the light switch by holding down a spring-loaded button on the light switch behind the dash, but not sure about how to remove the knob from the shaft. Martyn
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 03:09:59 PM »

To add a little more detail on the headlight switch, disconnect the battery, pull the headlight switch to full on, then depress the button and pull the knob all the way out. The button is a little hard to find if you don't know exactly where it is, but if you remove the dash from the car then it is easier to see.
Do you have a workshop manual?   If not they are an invaluable source of info with pictures etc.

Ken
ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:31:37 PM »

Getting a workshop manual. My wiper knob is broken, I have two headlight switches and knobs and a choke cable and knob, was wondering if they were interchangeable. Though from your description of the wiper knob id say no. Bugger!

Thanks for the advice.  Grin

FC the Marilyn Monroe of Holdens. All the curves in exactly the right places!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:31:03 PM »

Very common for wiper knob to get broken. They are a fairly sought after item now.

Ken
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »

Very common for wiper knob to get broken. They are a fairly sought after item now.

Ken
Hi Ken
I haven't found somewhere that says definitely says wiper knobs and headlight switch knobs are not interchangeable, but seems that is what everyone is inferring?
Of course I don't have one :-(
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 06:55:56 PM »

It depends how clever you are.
This is what I would do to make a headlight switch fit onto a wiper switch (I've never done it)

Forcefully remove the knob from the headlight switch shaft without damaging it (it's Moulded on).
Drill out the knob so the hexagonal wiper switch shaft will fit in.
Fill the hole with liquid steel (or other material like that)
Press the wiper shaft into the soft material and remove carefully to allow it to set with the hexagonal shape in it.
Drill through the side of the knob and tap to allow a small grub screw to hold the knob in place.

It is doable and there maybe other ways more creative than my idea.

Ken
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 07:02:52 PM »

This wrecker could be worth a call. Has been able to help me out a few times with hard to find bits & pieces. Sends photos of the parts on offer & happy to post from Vic.
0410 639 656.
http://www.oldholdenparts.com.au

Dave
0417 270 315
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »

It depends how clever you are.
This is what I would do to make a headlight switch fit onto a wiper switch (I've never done it)

Forcefully remove the knob from the headlight switch shaft without damaging it (it's Moulded on).
Drill out the knob so the hexagonal wiper switch shaft will fit in.
Fill the hole with liquid steel (or other material like that)
Press the wiper shaft into the soft material and remove carefully to allow it to set with the hexagonal shape in it.
Drill through the side of the knob and tap to allow a small grub screw to hold the knob in place.

It is doable and there maybe other ways more creative than my idea.

Thanks Ken - I'm not so clever but you have given hubby some ideas ! :-)

Ken
Roybeth

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 07:29:55 PM »

This wrecker could be worth a call. Has been able to help me out a few times with hard to find bits & pieces. Sends photos of the parts on offer & happy to post from Vic.
0410 639 656.
http://www.oldholdenparts.com.au

Hi DJ - thanks
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 08:01:05 AM »

Guys , your over thinking it . All you need is the outer bezel and can shape the knob of whatever you use for a switch and supa-glue the bezel . I do this with after-market wiper switches . 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: