FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:16:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Loose carb parts - buyer beware.  (Read 4263 times)
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2015, 03:10:26 PM »

Ladies and gents,

Think of this post as a community service announcement.

A number of sellers (often via eBay) are now providing Stromberg carbs that have been overhauled. The products are typically either “nice and shiny” from being replated, or dull grey. Some of these carbs appear to have been acid dipped to clean them. If the acid dipping is too prolonged, the carb can be affected badly.

Many of the fittings in a Stromberg carb are a press-fit. The acid can eat out the area around the press fitting, leading to parts becoming loose. Some parts (like the drive plugs) will allow fuel to leak. Another significant risk is that parts become loose and fall into the carburettor throat. These bits can travel into the engine, and do horrific damage. One part that is very susceptible to this is the fuel bowl vent.

Please do not think that all carb overhaulers are making crap product. There are probably many of them doing a great job. However, I have now seen a number of sellers, including at least one “big name”  where the carbs have loose parts. At least one engine has been destroyed due to this.

As a check, I’d recommend that anyone who has bought reco’d carbs should do the following. Remove the air cleaner, and take a look down the throat of the carb. You should be able to see a small pipe, jutting up diagonally in the carb throat (see photo below).

This is the fuel bowl vent… the bit that can come loose and wreak havoc in your engine. Grab the vent pipe with your fingers, and try to wiggle it around. If there is any sign of movement, you are at risk of the vent coming loose. The carb will run OK (temporarily) with no vent pipe – it will have an increased tendency to slosh (overflow) fuel into the carb throat, and will tend to run slightly leaner. Under no circumstances should a vehicle be run with a loose bowl vent.

If anyone finds a loose vent, please let me know (no need to name and shame the vendor publicly though)… interested to see if the vendors mentioned above have more problems.

Cheers,
Harv
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 07:13:11 PM »

Thanks Harv.

Dave
0417 270 315
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:33:09 PM »

Harv, I've had my triples rebuilt a few months ago, I'll check them out and let you know the outcome.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 05:35:01 AM »

Heres my new engine 1500 miles on it.
The first carby off ebay has lots of issues with the plunger and wear ebay seller wont reply and as for the second the "bungs" keep falling out and im concerned i will crack the housing if i go any bigger so i carry a packet of mintees in the glovebox.
So lessons learnt. Build everything myself this is meant to be a $3500 recod engine from a rebuilder in QLD
grit all thru the bottom end
looks like hardware spring washers on main caps 2 were broken 1 main bolt was loose
Crank is 30 thou under with big grooves and marks in it so a new crank is being balanced.
Cam has been ground down to be under on the lowest point so a new cam is being ground and fitted.
Carbys will go to the wall of shame im over them been nothing but a pain in the arse from day 1 a single dellorto is being fitted if the manifold im after is found.
If not it will get fuel injection.
Engine bores are being checked its in the acid tank so we can start again from scratch.

Heres the vent tube (whats left)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 05:45:18 AM by FCRB26 » Logged

Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 06:19:26 AM »

Thanks Pete. Bloody sad story, which prompted me to start this thread. Sadly, not the first carb I've seen with loose parts  Sad. The last one (Ash's EJ) was caught before it fell out.

If the drive plugs are loose, one way to remedy them is to use lead. Take a look in your fishing tackle box and find some split shot (K-mart usually sells split shot in little packets of mixed sizes). Choose one that is slightly bigger than the carby hole, and tap it in with a hammer until it is flush. If your split shot is too big, you can always file down a larger sinker.

If you'd like, I'll pull your carbs down, clean, check and rekit them for you, gratis. Might make up a little for the act of bastardy from the original seller. Would have to be once I'm home again from work though.

Jim - look forward to hearing. Hope you find nothing loose.

Cheers,
Harv
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:41:10 PM »

All good, checked all three today and they appear to be solid, tried twisting them loose but they would not move. Will post a couple of photos later.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »

Good news.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)