FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:13:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HK Holden Steering box  (Read 8352 times)
JOX515
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2015, 04:40:12 PM »

Still considering steering options - rack or box for an update to JOX.  I have a really good HK Holden steering box - has anyone used one of these on their FE/FC?

Cheers, Graeme
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 09:10:16 PM »

HI Graeme   Have you had any luck finding an example or some one that has used a HK steering box???. Im thinking of using the same thing.
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:56:52 PM »

G'day Cam, No luck with anyone who has tried or is currently using a HK steering box.  I guess I will just have to do a trial fit and see if it will work.  Cheers, Graeme
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »

I did a trial fit when I was doing the FE, all the bolts holes line up on the edges of the subframe which made it difficult (in comparison to a EJ to HR box)
This doesn't mean it couldn't be done but my perception was that the section of subframe would have to be cut out and a wider piece welded in.
I ended up putting an EJ column and worm gear into an FC box and sector.
I located two which were not very worn and they went together perfectly. No noise, no tight spots.
An earlier FC I fitted with a HD steering box and column. The HD box locating holes need about a mm of material removed to widen the distance between the holes.
The HD column can be cut and modified to adapt to a collapsible column from a later car.

Ken
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »

G'day Ken,

As usual, your answers are always detailed and with alternatives.  I am running a HR box mated to a vl commodore column and am fairly happy with the steering.  I have a HK steering box in the shed and thought I may use it when the time is right for replacement but I think I will stick with what I have and rebuild the HR steering box when needed.  I just cant bring myself to fit a rack to it - don't know why but have heard many differing opinions as to the end result and none have swayed me to go down the rack and pinion path.

Cheers, Graeme
Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 08:50:44 PM »

Hey job it was a popular conversion on the FJ in the 90's and what I found was that the same amount that you offset the steering box from the chassis then you also had to offset the idler arm the same amount otherwise you got bump steer, I ,hope that helps a little cheers frankiej.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: