FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:41:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cams FC Resto  (Read 174963 times)
camxsmith

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 10:15:56 PM »

HI all Finished removing most of the front, the passenger doors, some of the dash, and screws from the petrol tank. Ran into trouble with the tank. Of course I received the car with no keys and the petrol cap is still locked and on.  Undecided Undecided

Also noticed something what look like sway bars (I have attached a poor photo) that run under the rear springs. Does anyone know are they standard or an option for the FC. Are maybe not even sway bars at all.. ?? Grin

I got in touch with Peter turner thanks to Graeme for his contact details and gave him a run down of my plans and he said that sound good and to also look up the VSB 14, for a bit of a read. Which I believe Neil mentioned to me too. So I will start studying and keep de-constructing.
thanks every one

Swaybars
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 08:01:19 AM »

Looks like tramp rods.
ACE  Cool
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 12:38:11 PM »

Yep, old school tramp rods. Used to stop rear spring wind up under the severe acceleration conditions imposed by the mighty grey engine Grin
These were very popular during the sixties and seventies.
Ken
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »

wow so it was a real street machine  Grin Grin  thanks guys for confirming what they are.
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »

Today finished the Driver side doors and removed boot. Also removed what was left of door rubbers.

I have been thinking about the inner/out sills. Both sides of the outer sills have rust holes, nothing to great but if I get the car media blasted Im thinking about removing them. This would allow the inner sill to be blasted then painted so later rust out does not occur. Or should i only cut out small sections to allow of access for media blasting.  Whats your thoughts?Huh

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »

I had similar rust holes in the outer sills on my wagon. Cut the whole outer off both sides, discovered the inners were still perfect so just cleaned them up and treated them.  Got some new outers rolled up and welded them in.  I think you can buy complete outers now....  Cheers, Graeme
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »

Agree. Remove the outer sills and then blast

Ken
KFV888

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »

Hi all       Have a question about engineer and RWC. What are some of the items I need to be thinking about and planning to address as I move through my build of 186, Hr front, powerglide..  It would be great to here form those of you have already gone through the process and no the pains before I try address them my self.  I have also been thinking about contacting an engineer early in the build to get there thoughts on my plans. Has any one used one close to the Ballarat area.Huh  Is this a good idea or am I way too early in my build... Huh

try jean @ Bonneville, he is very good to deal with mods, he very in touch with what us car guys need and want and is very professional, and has the knowledge needed. most engineers say " no cant do this or do that" when it is quite legal to do it, they just don't know any better

http://www.bonneville.com.au/
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 07:47:01 PM »

Hi All
       Here is an update. 
Finished removing a list of items ,Dash , clutch and brake peddles, wiring, rear bumper and fuel tank.

Picked up my 186S engine, Powerglide gearbox, EH outrigger and HK auto steering wheel, freebies but need some work cleaning them up. Motor and auto will get a rebuild at some stage.

Currently think about whipping up a rotisserie to mount the old girl onto.  Have read the "pig on a spit" post. So Im keen to give it ago will source some casters and metal and get building.  Will be removing the complete front end soon as well. 

Was also nice to see some FC's at the Coffee and Cars in Ballarat today, couldn't wait to get home and start tinkering in the shed.

Hope every one had a chance to get their rides out and take them for a spin in such great weather.. Wink

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2015, 10:24:45 PM »

Hi Cam, I made my rotisserie from two engine stands, most of the work is already done. Just need to make the cross bars and body mounts. Have a look on my build site (my fc rebuild)and you can get an idea.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 06:34:22 AM »

Theres only 1 way to do it properly put it on the rotisserie and have it blasted and epoxy etched straight away then you know what you are in for.
If your sills are buggered just cut the lower half out so the blaster can get to the inners.
make sure if you start cutting inners and outers to either weld to a table or rhs gusset the crap out of it so it cannot move or pull you door gaps out of shape.

Lots of fun ahead  good luck with her..

Pete

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 01:22:00 PM »

Was a good turn up of cars at the Cars n Coffee do yesterday, including a really nice looking FC wagon, grey on grey (NOT mine, even tho mine was there).  Haven't seen that one around before.
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 02:17:43 PM »

Graeme I did look twice as I thought It was your wagon, There was also a nice red white FE.

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »

My wagon was behind the black A Model tudor with the flathead V8 engine  Smiley  That stocky wagon looked really good and the FE was also super clean and tidy.
KFV888

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2015, 08:19:08 AM »

that HK auto column worth $295 on its own...handle that inhibitor switch at the base of the column with care...worth $150 alone
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »

Well it has been a little while, great weather so the garden has been getting some attention. Have pulled apart and started cleaning up the HK auto column and steering box, Sadly KFV888 the switch on the column was broken. Will have to get creative and find away around the $160 replacement. Have collected some bits to start making the rotisserie for the car. Going for a drive tomorrow to look at another FC sedan for some required parts. Will Also raid my stock pile of items at my father farm, see what other goodies I can find.  Grin Grin Grin

Today finally got around to ripping the front off. Passenger side bolt was rusted in nicely, nothing a bit off heat could not fix. 

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 09:47:04 PM »

HI All
Well after almost completing the court yard, which has dragged out. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes I have kicked of my rotisserie project for the FC Grin. Currently have one end stand 95% complete and goes together quicker then I thought. I have also picked up a rear and front seat in not to bad of condition. I started hammering out some dents on my guards, Still a lot of work needed on them. And out of the four doors I have pulled down two ready for the sand blasters.

councilxvb32

Model: FE

www.megamotormadness.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 05:15:16 PM »

megamotormadness

Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 08:52:44 PM »

Judging by the view out of the courtyard it doesn't appear you'll be annoying the neighbours any time soon!  Grin
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 08:14:07 AM »

Yes the neighbours are at a great distance away. Dont even really see them, which i think maybe the best neighbours..  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Has anyone tried the Weber 34 adm (ford xf ) carby on a holden 6.HuhHuh?  Alot of good comments on the net.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: