FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:05:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cams FC Resto  (Read 170081 times)
camxsmith

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2015, 09:45:21 PM »

Hi All
    Hope every one had a good Christmas  Grin Grin..   Well the old girl has finally left the ground and is been mounted on the rotisserie..  Was amazed at how centred I got the car first time up. I think I read some where about the petrol filler hole being a good starting point, and that does work. Its so nice to be be able to move the car around the shed with out much hassles. I'm really happy with my design. I have also finished pulling down the  two remaining doors. I have in vested in a Weber 34 ADM carby for the 186. Did some research and sounds like every one who has tried the carby noticed a big difference. So it will be interesting to see how they perform. Well next stage make sure every thing is ready for the sandblasters and get it sent off.

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »

Just like a bought one  Wink

Regards

Wayne b
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2016, 08:46:35 AM »

Hi Decided to grab a cheap SCA sandblasting cabinet and some blast grit 30/60, and i was impressed with how easy and well it worked. I just tried it on a door hinge and under five minutes had it back to metal looking like new. Of course the cabinet needs a few alterations. 1. Extra lid handles 2. connection to shop vac, seal of unwanted leaky hole with filter..  I think this will make life alot easier so I will be working on all the small stuff and etch priming as I go.

Still have not sent the car off to the sand blasters need to remove the sills so they have access to the sills inners, fingers crossed for this weekend. Have also picked up a LJ diff with 3.08 centre and have started to remove the unwanted suspension mounts. Pictures to come.

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2016, 01:43:33 PM »

Coming along nicely Cam.  Have you got a time frame for when it will be on the road?  Cheers, Graeme
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2016, 06:21:37 PM »

Hi Graeme No I don't have a plan for on the road, but I wish it was now. Grin. Want to do at a variable pace as a young family does take your time. Just trying to enjoy any  time I get and trying to do a good job, love being in the shed. As I think everyone on this Forum would.

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »

Agree with you there Cam.  If you feel the need to drive an oldie, mine is always here.....
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2016, 08:28:42 PM »

Found the 186s motor I have has had a 161 high comp LC GTR Torana head added at some stage. "The casting number 7438296 is the standard 161 head casting which was also used on the GTR 2600S motor"

LJ  Diff

The diff centre had 2.78 on the out side collar, but it has 3.08 internals , must of had a change at some stage in its life.
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2016, 08:29:25 PM »

Thanks Graeme I might hold you to that one day.. Wink
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2016, 08:39:56 PM »

Anytime mate  Smiley
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2016, 01:23:49 PM »

This week as been all about blasting and etch priming some parts.  I was looking at my bonnet hinges to blast next and was wondering if it is even possible to get the pivot pins / rivets.??

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2016, 02:59:46 PM »

Leave them you will never get them the same just take the spring off and blast open and then closed
If they are very loose put them on a anvil and give them a love tap.

Go with chrome or cad plating over painting hinges. Thats my opinion anyway..

Keep up the good work

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »

Cad plated with oil blacked springs was original. Chrome looks good on a modified. Paint is ok if it's going to be very seldomly opened because it will chip off around the gears very quickly.

Ken
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2016, 05:15:55 PM »

If you are coming into Cars and Coffee next sunday, bail me up and take the wagon for a spin.  Would appreciate some feedback on how it drives, steers and stops....
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2016, 09:50:47 AM »

Thanks guys for advice, I do some research on CAD plating.

And Graeme I will have to see if I can get to the coffee and cars, if I do I will hunt you out.
camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2016, 10:21:59 PM »

HI All   Just a broad question to all what front brake setups (stubs,rotors,calipers) are we all running on HR front ends, and are they working for you.Huh??
JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2016, 06:22:12 AM »

On the van I used Vt calipers and rotors with hubs from Hoppers Stoppers.
I also had the VT brake booster. Worked really well.

Cheers
JB

Phone +64 223509263
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2016, 02:28:30 PM »

HQ stubs, rotors and calipers on mine
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2016, 04:17:07 PM »

CRS drop spindles, HZ WB rotors and callipers with VP Booster on my sedan

HR modified drum stub axles with adapter plates, VP rotors and callipers not sure about booster yet on my FB/EK ute project.
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2016, 05:00:30 PM »

If you find some HD HR  drum stubbs i can make you a commodore adaptor kit like nes runs.

Also i now have in stock hr engine mounts .
And i havent forgot your diff saddles.

camxsmith

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2016, 07:34:18 PM »

Thanks all you gave me their brake combinations appreciate you input.

Peter how are you and making kitchen sinks, Im going end up buying one of each from you great list, those engine mounts look like they will make life easy. I will take a couple of them please. What else do you have in your list.?  Grin

Any one looking at the HG auto column I believe I found a cheaper option to the auto inhibitor switch. As you can see in the following images the original HG switch (White one) is almost the same as the tee bar switch(black one), used in torona's and other models. I will only need to swap the backing plate. I will report my findings after have a go at swapping. I picked up the tee bar switch for $33 on ebay, and is in really good condition. Much better then $260 for replacement HG switch.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: