FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:05:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: V6 conversion opinions  (Read 15414 times)
fcute

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2015, 08:09:11 PM »

Hi all, I have had my FC ute now for about 16 yrs running a grey and crash box. It is getting unreliable, eg timing gear just went, now water pump, second gear synchro needs attention and front wheel cylinders are leaking.

Toying up with the idea of doing a v6 conversion instead of red motor conversion as they are also getting a bit long in the tooth.

Just after people's opinions that may have been down the v6 road, have driven a fc with a v6. I have had a look at left nut hot rods v6 crossmember/suspension, brakes etc and it seems to look the goods.

Thanks for any help, advice in advance.

Cheers Dave
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:07:06 PM »

Hey Dave
In my case I had a similar scenario with the old grey being well old. I decided to go V6 but after putting that engine in realised that it was going to cost the same for a 5L V8.
In my opinion it's a no brainer. EFI and a heap more power, all the modern goodies if ya want it.

fcute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:26:31 PM »

Thanks, for your opinion, are you in WA? Does it feel like an everyday driver with the conversion?

Thanks Dave
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 07:04:27 AM »

I'm personally still in the build process so can't comment. But can see that mine is going to be different to that of someone else's through little things in the setup.
It could only be better right?

sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 10:01:25 AM »

I've gone down the v6 route for an everyday driver.
Sure it's the same amount of work and engineering requirements as for an 8, so just decide which you want.
Might be less firewall mods with the 6 ??
As an everyday car the best improvement is going to fuel injection, instant starts and idle.
Also for an everyday car the most important part of the conversion to get right is steering. You want the turning circle, feel, ride etc to be very good.
The front end packages available now may solve that for you?
You'll also appreciate the better brakes compared to stock.
Cheers.

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »

Best car set up i ever had was the RB30E and 5 sp in my sedan awesome on fuel lots of power.

Im doing a 5ltr in my ute and RB26 in my sedan and i have a hot grey in my FE

Nes will tell you its a massive job doing the whole conversion to 5ltr.
Im currently fitting a RB20DET to my mates EH wagon as he didnt want to go to chasis kit and rack and pinion steering as hes on a budget i gave him one i had in the shed and we bought an adaptor to go to his powerglide fitted a commodore tank i made the sump so i think all up hes under $500 so far.
And the engineer is is happy with this set up.
If you allready have the 186 look at putting injection on it either using VK injection manifold or modify a holley style manifold and fit injectors.

So many options or just stick a 5sp behind the grey fit a webber carb.
Lets face it you may think its unreliable fixing those few things but its over 50 yrs old and theres no reason it wont last another 50 with a tidy up.
A grey with a cam and 5sp would be a great everyday driver.

All depends what you want out of the old girl.

fcute

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 01:30:35 PM »

Thanks for the comments, all good information. I suppose at the end of the day if possible I would like a ute that I can jump into and not have to worry when it's going to die on me next, drives decent and can stop. Decisions decisions.

Thanks again for the input thus far great help.

Cheers Dave
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »
+1

And money...

Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »

Just on this topic guys how much modifying is there of the firewall, just an area I'm unsure about cheers.
Frankie
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 05:51:09 AM »

I have a v8. None

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 07:17:31 AM »

Gearing ,balance [handling] and being able to work on it is also a thing [ if you do your own mechanicals]. Cheers Haydn
fcute

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 08:35:55 AM »

I am not sure I understand what you mean Haydn.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »
+1

I think he means for example in mine with a V8 as its so tight, there is stuff all room in which to manoeuvre tools. For me to get my belts off, I will need to remove the radiator cover/bonnet hinge catch.

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 02:04:35 PM »
+1

Hi FCute if you are in WA and want to see a V6 conversion send me a PM and you can have a look at my sedan I am currently in the middle of mocking up the V6 for me EK ute as well so it is a good time to see the bits and pieces going in.
As the guys say it is your personal choice but I find the V6 enough for me and I get the reliability and fuel economy and driveability I was looking for.

Regards
Neil H
Frankiej

Model: other Holden

Frankies restorations
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 07:31:45 PM »

So Nes are you saying if I was to bring the centre section of my firewall out to meet the rest of the firewall it wouldn't be an issue with the fit, as I'm looking for more space under the dash, it's a modified fe anyway so may even make a new firewall yet not sure.
Frankie.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »

What do you need room for? I stuffed a vintage air con under mine

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 08:37:59 PM »
+1

G'day Dave, 

I fitted my c wagon out with the RB30 motor, auto and diff from the VL commodore.  Used most of the VL wiring, etc etc.  Everything fitted into place with relative ease, it drives well, good on fuel and has plenty of get up and go and is super reliable.

As NES has said, he is doing the V8 thing, lot more work involved but in the end he will have a reliable car that he can drive anywhere and has all the mod cons.

Neil in WA did a V6 in his fc and it looks a million dollars and I am sure he will get many many miles of trouble free motoring.

There are still plenty of red motors around, good range of hot up bits available, and will also give you many trouble free miles.

It all comes down to what you want, how much you are prepared to spend and how much time and effort you are prepared to put in.

My build is called "Finally underway again...." and is in the members completed car section if you want to have a look.

Good luck with your build mate.

Cheers, Graeme
fcute

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 11:36:31 PM »

Thanks for everyone's opinions, for now I have decided to stay with the grey, with the idea of researching and collecting parts as funds become available to do a conversion.

I have been reading NCOP for engine modifications for WA according to the document I use a multiplier of 4 x the body weight of the heaviest variant available but not a station wagon. This gives the possibility of a V6, or a 253. Now something interesting is if it is a commercial vehicle there is no limit?
Does this mean in WA that I may get approval for a 5 litre?
Does an FC utility qualify as a commercial vehicle?
Lastly has anyone been down this road in WA recently?

Cheers Dave
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 08:11:07 AM »

commercial vehicle:
noun
a vehicle used for carrying goods or fare-paying passengers.

Know what I reckon.....

BUILD A "TAXI" or a "LIMO"

fcute

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 09:17:22 AM »

commercial vehicle:
noun
a vehicle used for carrying goods or fare-paying passengers.

Know what I reckon.....

BUILD A "TAXI" or a "LIMO"

Interesting.

Cheers Dave
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: