FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 12:06:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chrome trim removal question  (Read 6474 times)
David

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:29:57 PM »

G'day all,

First post...

I have a '59? FC and there is a bit of rust coming through the front left, and it goes under the chrome trim. I need to remove the trim to treat the panel. I have found all the nuts behind the panel, and thought that the trim should just come off. However, there seems to be some sort of thing under the trim holding it firmly in place. Is this normal? If so how do I get the trim off? If not normal...... I don't want to prise the trim off to hard in case I bent it !!

Any ideas?
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »

These can be a real pain to get off. Especially the last one near the door edge. What you can feel under the guard is the head of a bolt which goes into a retaining plate. Try to find a ring spanner or flat spanner which is a very snug fit. Even try filing a spanner to make it a very tight fit.
 Generally the best solution is the head breaks off the nut because new clips are available. DONT lever the chrome or bends will occur which are very hard to fix.
My best solution when I do this now is to take the guard off and then remove the trim, but I can understand your reluctance if you are only new to FCs

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:19:17 PM »

Apart from usual crc I tried that freeze spray stuff but hard to tell if it truly helped. Id spray crc night before then cold them then crc again if it's the ones I'm thinking. Depends how far your going with the repair u can get crc in front hole. Sucks either way. Ken, can't u put waxy stuff on them during assembly.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »

You can protect the new ones you put in, but David's problem is undoing what's rusted in after 50 odd years of service.

Ken
David

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »

Thanks all.  I might not have been clear enough.

I've actually got all of the nuts off - at least as far as I can tell, so I thought the trim would then come off.  However, it seems to be solidly stuck on toward the middle of the trim.  By feel I find the holes where it seems to be stuck, and I can poke my screw driver into the holes (the middle three holes did have nuts and bolts).  When I push, the trim comes away from the body enough to allow me to put a butter knife into the gap, and there seems to be two spots where the knife will not pass.  They are sitting between holes, and seem to be about 3cm long, and firmly stuck to the body work.  Is it normal?  (I'm suspecting a previous owner may have "improved" things with regard to fixing the trim on).

I've borrowed a flexible camera to make sure there are no more nuts, and will suss it out over the weekend.

I am loathed to take to whole panel off at this stage, as I'm not confident with doing this, but.....
JOX515
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 01:56:57 PM »

David, maybe the previous owner "stuck" some areas of the trim on with sikaflex - use a sharp knife to cut it.  Otherwise if may be an accumulation of "crud" that has become solid over time - maybe a hacksaw blade (very carefully) and see if you can cut it.  Cheers, Graeme
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:04:39 PM »

I found silastic on mine, on the back of the moulds around the holes. It had spread with the mould pushed against the paint and had stuck very solidly.
I pushed the trim a little out as you describe, & used a razor sharp knife between the paintwork & the trim to slowly cut away the silastic until it let go. Then cleaned up with Prepsol.

Dave
0417 270 315
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »

Yes someone has fiddled. There are no nuts holding the trim on the front guards. Look for signs of sikaflex as suggested but also check to see if it is not a combination of original clips and new clips. The original clip only has a small bolt head which is easily missed. Take the wheel off and have a look inside.

Ken
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 04:14:36 PM »

To try and ease the trim away use a stainless steel puppy knife.  Some of the narrower ones are quite thin .  If the end is sharpened up a little it would help cut the Sikaflex or similar glue that may have been used.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 04:56:11 PM »

Cheesy.   Auto correct cracks me up.   Grin

Ken
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »

Is this FC a Special......... or is it a Standard a Ute or a panel van, as these only had the short guard spears

These were held on by a kind of flat nut / washer thingymebob
David

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 11:59:10 AM »

G'day All,

Thanks again for all the hints.  The culprit was sikaflex.  So as suggested, a knife in behind the strip did the trick.  Not having a "puppy" knife :-), I used a carving knife.

Just to answer a few other questions, the car is a special - sedan.  And my confession.  She is a bitsa.  It's got an HR front end, a Celica 5 speed on the floor, and what I'm told is a "stage 2" red motor (186), a lumpy cam, and a few other changes - I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the forum :-)
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »

Don't worry David everybody is welcome these are the things that make our cars individual.

Regards
Neil H
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 09:19:48 AM »

The important thing is that it's on the road and being enjoyed.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: