FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:51:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fc fins  (Read 6213 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2015, 08:58:23 PM »

Ok. I found a spare fin. It has number 7410975 so can anyone tell me if this is for a certain series or date release. Also if the rear door thick diagonal trim doesn't have a number, do I assume it's non genuine? Thanks. Deano.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 10:12:07 PM »

Fins - 7410974 is also marked RH (right hand side), 7410975 is marked LH (left hand side). There is a "7" after the RH/LH on both but I have no idea what this means. As far as I know, these part numbers are not specific to a date release. The later series has a separate, additional piece that extends the fins up to front-most edge of "C" pillar.  (See paint styles - technical http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/fcpaintstyles.html).

I don't recall anything like an id or part number on the wide door trim pieces I fitted, but I believe they were the original ones I puled off the car 35 years ago.

Dave
0417 270 315
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:15:38 PM »

All FCs have the rear fin (except the one you put up the photo of). The third model has a slightly different fin to the 1st and 2nd model, but it looks the same (different part numbers though). I am away from home at the moment so can't tell you which this is.
None of the stainless has part numbers on it, but there are no repros, so it would be genuine.

Ken
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:22:59 AM »

Stuffed if I can find them in the parts book I have. Thought I'd post the detail for you to decipher. Mine are off the later model so perhaps Deano has the same. Is the end slightly different to allow it to slide together with the added piece extending to the C pillar?

Dave
0417 270 315
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 11:14:58 AM »

Yes thanks guys. Mine has the extender and it would be to join them. Thanks for the article. Sorry for asking obscure questions but with such an authentic piece of history as a taxi, if I ever sell it (the intention is to keep it for my boys who are both Adelaide born) I would like to know that I am restoring it properly and as authentic as possible. Where the extenders go there is a groove there. Is there supposed to be a groove there or is that just because the paint is indented. I really appreciate your time.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 01:43:57 PM »

Well, I would never have noticed the difference between the two fins.
One has the end shaped to allow the extension to slide over.
I can only guess there could be a slight indent in the painted surface where they slide together, but I really can't remember.
I obviously have two different fin styles on my car but they both seemed to fit into the extensions OK. In fact the fin with the flat end aligned the extension piece better when viewed from the rear, probably because it was a snug fit. I'll recheck how it seats on the painted surface next time I get to the car but I think it seemed OK too.

Dave
0417 270 315
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »

Well photographed Dave, you're brilliant. There should be no indent in the body, they were just installed on soft paint. I don't have my parts book here but they should have different part numbers (that is 4 part nos in all)
Ken

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 06:17:05 PM »

Do you see why I asked. I wasn't sure if I had aftermarket fins cos I had seen variation and I didn't originally know there were 3 factory schemes for fins or paint. I thought there were only 2 and that people just changed their minds about the rear quarter for interests sake. So when you said DJ that there is 1 part number for each side perhaps the fact that 2 different fins with their own part numbers makes people think there's only 1 extender due to parts books having only 2 listed.

Ken, what 3 components on the car would you use to get a close install date. I've read some recent comments you made about engines, so I assume the parts that were made at the same factory might be more accurate as to a cars completion date. I'm interested in the number 7. I haven't found a reference to it.

Have you guys come across any other thicker bits that people have used as an extender? Or enlarged finds? Thanks.

Deano

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:07:55 PM »

Brilliant is having such intricate knowledge, Ken. 
There's something new for me to learn here every single week. It's amazing.

Dave
0417 270 315
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: