FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:50:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: After 12 volt grey motor parts  (Read 4705 times)
jwk87

Model: other Holden

jason.king.5623 jdonlineinvest
View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:54:59 PM »

Hi all,
I am finally after nearly 30 years owning my stock FJ sedan am going to bite the bullet and convert it to 12 volt.

I am after some grey motor electrics such as a 12 volt coil, 12 volt starter, 12 volt generator (wide pulley if possible) 12 volt distributor and a 12 volt regulator.

Bosch preferably.

If anyone has any parts for sale can you please let me know.

Thanks
Jason

note: if this is in the wrong area Ret please move it thanks!

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »

Jason, which state are you in? You shouldn't find it hard to pick up these parts ( except the wide pulley generator). To reduce postage costs get them as close to you as possible.

Ken
jwk87

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:06:34 PM »

Still in Melbourne mate (Nth essendon)

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:24:42 PM »

Jason,

I'd be interested in buying your six-volt electricals, if you're in or around the Sydney metro area.

You don't need to change your distributor for a later version if you're doing a 12-V conversion.  You can buy a 12V non-ballast ignition coil over the shelf.  It might help to change your 6V headlamp switch to a 12V switch from an FE-EK. (Thermal overload set for a lower current).

I've got a couple of grotty old 12V four-brush starter motors. You'd just need to true the communtator up and pop a new set of brushes in.  I also have more Lucas generators and regulators than I know what to do with.  There are quite a few English cars which run the Lucas C39 generator with a wide fanbelt, so you should be able to track down a wide-belt pulley for one.  Otherwise you can keep the Holden generator pulley and get an adaptor sleeve made to suit the Lucas generator.

Or - go for an alternator.  The FX-FJ generator pulley apparently fits straight onto the shaft of the '65-onwards Bosch alternator fitted to Holdens.  OK, so the alternator will spin a little more slowly than with its original pulley, but it'll supply your electrical system just fine.

Disclaimer:  I'm in "that" Humpy Holden club that prefers six-volt cars.  I also have an FX with original Delco electrical system as my daily drive.  Getting a six-volt Holden's electrical system to work well isn't rocket science, actually . . .

So tell me what in what ways your FJ has "gone bad" in the electrical department, and I'll show you how to fix it.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:27:18 PM »

Jason,

Melbourne.  That's a bit more than an hour or two's drive.

I can still diagnose your electrics, if you'd like.

Rob

jwk87

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 10:29:55 PM »

I have 4 FJ Holdens and own fxfjholden.com as most people I know. I wont want to part with the 6 volt stuff as my stock windowless van is 6 volt.

The stock sedan I want to convert to 12 volt, I just want it for the ease. Over the years the car not starting when warm, has always been the biggest pain in the backside.

Cheers
Jason

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:45:20 PM »

Jason,

I have 4 FJ Holdens and own fxfjholden.com as most people I know.

I really need to get out more . . .

Voltage drops in the ground connections (block-to-subframe and subframe-to-battery-negative) are frequently overlooked, as is voltage drop in the battery and motor connections at the solenoid.

And a 6V driving light relay between the starter button and the SOL terminal of the starter motor helps too.

But I'm no doubt telling you nothing new.

Rob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: