FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:20:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gearshift Knob  (Read 6435 times)
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2003, 01:06:58 AM »

Im trying to locate a gearknob for an FE/FC Column shift , Original type. Please call Slim  0402465768. Cheers         Does anybody do a repro that does the job. Any help much appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2003, 09:08:38 AM by slim » Logged

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 09:07:58 AM »

Hard to believe nobody has a gearstick end , And nobody does a reproduction one. OH WELL . Ill keep looking .

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 11:15:41 AM »

There's a SLIM (pun intended) chance I may have what you are after. I pulled it off the old FE out the back, the knob is 38mm long with a taper 24mm to 20mm. Recessed thread in the small end, and the large end is open and looks like it should have some sort of cover. The inner part has 3 evenly spaced small ribs on the inside. With a bit of luck the attachment works. Overall condition is good with some small scratches, no cracks.

slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 08:00:22 PM »

The one that was on the car was the same , missing the end and I tossed it out . Thanks Stinky but want one with the end in it. Its going on a very original vehicle . I know Im a Fussy sucker , but Ill never get just the end for one.

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 08:11:34 PM »

Do you (or anyone else) know what the end looks like?
Has anyone got a picture?

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 09:37:59 PM »

Hi.
The end is just a thin alloy disc. Slightly brushed effect. This is the reason no one actually reproduces these. The plastic bit would not be too big a deal, but getting that little cover done would be a real pain. That is the bit that is always missing. I would have looked at tonnes of FE & FC wrecks & it is VERY rare to find a knob with that silver bit still in there.
Goodluck,
Rob

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 02:35:32 AM »

I gave up looking for the metal plug for an earlier FC of mine and made one from a domed expansion plug.
Its a type of welsh plug that is fitted to an opening and biffed in the middle to expand and seal it in tight. Like what is used to seal off the top & bottom of the king pins. You can purchase them in various sizes from any auto supply place.
The gearshift knob hole is however an odd size and a slightly bigger plug has to be filed or carefully ground down just a little to fit. Polish it before fitting & it's near impossible to tell it's not original.

Red & white is alright
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 07:31:51 AM »

Slim - yes I have a gearstick knob with cap in it.  Pretty hard to find item though.
I have sent you a pm.

Regards Ken
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 10:00:27 AM »

Thanks KEN , Money order is off to you on Monday . CHEERS SLIM

2brite
wa-club

Cruizin's devine in a '59

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2003, 07:06:48 AM »

What i done to my shiny bit on the end of my knob was to got to Laminex Industries,they sell all the laminates for you kitchen bench tops etc and picked out a brushed aliminium sample,then i cut it to fit at the end of my knob
(gear stick knob)that is and it looks very good,i know it's not original but for the time being it looks the part.

regards 2brite
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2003, 08:45:23 AM »

Hi Slim
Thanks for starting this string I have been wandering what this small round disc thing was for that I found somewere in my car during my cleaning and fixing process, now I just need to find it again.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2003, 08:46:14 AM by Ariesguy65 » Logged

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 08:56:09 AM »

Found it.

Now how the heck do I get it back in Huh Huh Huh

It is a very tight fit and I can not quite force it back in. Has anyone got an idea. I thought about heating the knob up in hot water, would that work and would it harm the knob.

Help Embarrassed

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 10:00:29 AM »

Depends on what type of knob you put in the hot water as to whether it will get hurt or not  Grin Grin Grin (sorry, couldn't resist)

On a serious note, I would suggest putting the disc in the freezer. This should shrink the metal enough to put in the knob. Looking at the knob I have, it may pay to give the recess a bit of a clean out too, maybe with a pin or something

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2003, 10:46:46 AM »

Hi Glen
Thanks for the hint I will stick it in the freezer and see if it works. I will stick my knob in hot water as an absolute last resort (roglol).

Cheers Jim

Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2003, 07:49:38 PM »

G'Day Jim
Must be the hot weatherin Qld, as the disc in the 'gear knob' of my FC kept falling out whilst I lived up there.
I found once it came out once you can't stop it from falling out, SO In the end I filled the end of knob with silastic and fitted stainless disc back into the knob then, silastic set has not fallen out since.
Good Luck with dipping it in hot water, couldn't you find somewhere a little less hot.
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2003, 07:54:54 AM »

Thanks Ken , I got my Knob today , I now have 2 knobs an Old one and a New one. lol.     That silastic Idea sounds pretty good John . And Jim , Now you no why I never throw any thing away , That little chrome piece for the gearknob , is a prime example .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: