FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:59:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR FRONT END (I hate my car)  (Read 16993 times)
freddyc
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »

Ok short story long. I have finished renovating the house, now its time to work on car again. I have a Hr front end with rear commodore rack fitted by V6 shitversions (sorry) I have fitted 2 inch drop stubs from CRS which take HQ brakes. My problem is my tyre are hitting the steering arms. I have tried std commodore and HQ wheels. Question, is it ok to fit a spacer between the stub and the steering arm to move the later in a bit?
fred 

Townsville North Queensland
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 07:21:38 PM »

G'day Fred,

Are you using the HR steering arms...... 

Cheers, Graeme
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »

yes, sorry am using Hr steering arm, V6 shitversions (sorry) said not to use short hq one as this will cause bump steer.
fred

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 07:31:33 PM »

Although I am not running a rack and pinion, I am using the HR steering arms with HQ Stub axles, rotors and calipers with the 15" wheels and have plenty of clearance.  What size rims are you using cos I tried 14" and there was not a lot of clearance.....
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 08:38:28 PM »

Fred, I have been told be one of my customers who is putting a HR crossmember in an EH. He was told that if he is using rack and pinion he would need to use HQ steering arms as they are shorter and would give better clearance.
Hope this helps, Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:05:08 PM »

I have tried both std commodore and std HQ, I am not going with any mags just standard rims and hubcaps.
fred

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:01:35 PM »

Must admit mine are pretty close with B45's. HR front end with HR arms. Top wishbone comes bloody close to the rim too.
Spacers are illegal unless standard from a manufacturer.

Consider using a larger offset rim (use some spacers just to see how far to move it out)
16" rim will be outside the arm too

Ole

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:49:36 PM »

I used HK/T/G steering arms on my rear mounted shortened commodore rack and I didn't have any clearance issues. From memory they are midway in length between HR and HQ.

Cheers Ole.

Adelaide SA
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 06:54:43 AM »

Fred,

Had the same drama with my EK wagon (CRS front end, HR stub axles machined by CRS to suit Commodore wheels). I learnt three new swear words before I found a solution.

Most Commodore wheels are 43mm positive offset (you will find "43P" stamped on the rim). This is a lot more than the original HR Holden offset of 6mm positive, but is in the right direction (wheels are "tucked in" under the car rather than "widened out" and loading up the stub axles). For some conversions (including mine) the "tucked in" wheels rub on the tierod ends, or in your case steering arms. One way around this is to fit wheel spacers, which are frowned upon by most engineers and registration authorities. A better way is to fit Commodore wheels with 26mm positive offset (stamped "26P"). You can find these on VP Berlina, VP and VR with ABS/IRS, VT Aclaim V6 and VQ Statey Series 1. These are 20mm less offset each side than the standard HR, so again safer. The extra 17mm clearance of the 26P rim will probably give you enough clearance.

Another option is to fit a spacer under the steering arms to brin the arms closer to the body centre - see red circle on photo below (with thanks to Stinky...). Not as elegant though.

Cheers,
Harv
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »

Harv, are the berlina wheels still 15's. I have a wrecker looking around too.
fred

FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 02:43:23 PM »

Hi Fred
I am running the identical front end and brakes, I use the HR steering arms, 15 x7 rims and no fowling issues lock to lock.
Calipers are on the front of the stub axle not the back to keep them away from the tie rod ends.
Maybe post a couple of photos of your setup and we may be able to see what is going on.
Regards
Neil H
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »

Harv, are the berlina wheels still 15's. I have a wrecker looking around too.fred

AFAIK, yes, they are 15".

Cheers,
Harv
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 07:09:30 AM »

photo's to come, and sorry they are rubbing on the tirod knuckle not the steering arms

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 07:42:13 AM »

Here's a couple pictures Fred asked me to put on here.  Not sure why he called this (I hate my car) He spends more money on it then me.  Hi everyone, Candy.

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 08:55:26 AM »

First thing I notice is too many wheel aligning spacers are in place .Get the right HQ steering arms [approx. 100mmm from back mounting hole to tie rod hole] then look at rim offset . A 2mm spacer could be used if the mounting holes are loose enough . What I mean is under the steering arm at the mounting  hole closest to the tie rod hole. This will help to correct the problem Holden had with front mounted steering . I machine the 2mm from the front hole but as that's not legal I can't advise . When holden moved the steering to the front [torana and HQ-WB ]the outside wheel tracked a smaller circle than the inside wheel scrubbing the inside wheel on corners . RTS just moved the top ball joint back to improve turning but less traction . What I am trying to say is HQ steering arms , like torana steering arms , when used on the rear , don't have enough inward bend to steer correctly on turn this is why I take about 2mm from them . Because they are shorter than the rear mounted arms ,this seems to be enough [don't forget to realign the toe in]. Message me if you have any questions . Cheers Haydn
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 08:08:00 AM »

A 26p rim and a small spacer behind the steering fixed the problem, anyone got 4  x 26p rims for sale or know of any? rang every wrecker up this way with no luck. Could only find 1 to use to check if it would work.
fred

JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 09:27:26 AM »

Will ask around down here for you Fred.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 02:15:26 PM »

Find someone wrecking a VT acclaim?

freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 08:15:42 AM »

apparently they are rocking horse poo up this way.
fred

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 09:17:26 AM »

The drop spindles make your steering arm closer to the lower perimeter of your rim . They are an expensive item for the trouble they cause . Shorter heavier coils and a rubber cushion [similar to commodore rear coil] placed inside the spring tower and a set of HQ steering arms [spaced inward at the rear bolt hole] may have been a better option . I set up a neighbours FJ with commodore rack ,drop spindles [same stubs as yours] on HR front end with HQ steering arms ,brakes and rims without issue . Haydn
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: