FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:34:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Aluminium Radiators  (Read 6121 times)
CoolFCWgn

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »

Any reports on the aluminium radiators for around $200 on e-bay ? Are they any good?

I just want to replace one on my stock FC.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-CORE-HOLDEN-FJ-FX-48-49-50-51-52-53-54-55-ALUMINUM-ALLOY-RADIATOR-BRAND-NEW-/261462298622?_trksid=p2054897.l5662#ht_5725wt_1004

Ian.
Airfireman

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 09:01:58 AM »

Gday Ian

Did you purchase this Radiator?Huh??

If so can you recommend??

Thanks

Tim
Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »

Hi Tim,
I purchased one of these (can't tell if exactly the same as link now does not work).

It was certainly not  the same as the original radiator and presented significant difficulties in attempting to fit it into an FC.

I first tried it in our ute, due to the extra thickness it had less than 5mm from the fan and the top and bottom tanks fouled. The mounting holes were also out of place.

When I tried it in our sedan there was a little more clearance to the fan but only just enough... Same problem with fouling and mounting brackets. After some subtle modifications I have installed it in the sedan but certainly not happy with the result. Will stay until I can get an original one re-cored.

My advice would be to buy one only as a last resort and be prepared for challenges  Sad

The Ebay vendor was prepared to take it back based on no damage and original packaging which is a bit hard as mine was vacuum plastic packed and of course as soon as you try to slide it into place you touch the fins against the radiator and so it looks damaged.

Cheers,
Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
Airfireman

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:39:21 AM »

Gday Trevor,

Thanks for the info,

I was deciding whether to re-core the original Rad or purchase new.

I never clicked the buy it now cheap ebay radiator as I suspected cheap will lead to problems.

Appreciated

Tim

ACT59FC
act-club

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 06:57:59 PM »

I just had my fuel tank repaired in a radiator shop. Whilst there I asked the exact same question. The guy told me that numerous people purchasing these alloy radiators have taken them back out and reinstalled the original. He said the Alloy ones in his experience don't cool as efficiently as the original and advised me to stick with the brass and copper.

Regards Rod.

FC the Marilyn Monroe of Holdens. All the curves in exactly the right places!
FC Dave

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 08:18:46 PM »

I dont know if this applies to older cars, but we had a Aluminium Radiator fail on a VN calais due to water in the tail lights causing a crook earth & stray current.
Radiator bloke says it will attack rads & welsh plugs. Just something to be aware of maybe.
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 06:49:09 AM »

When i bought my PWR radiator it says to get a multimeter and put it into the coolant to make sure thee is no curent whatsoever.

http://www.pwr.com.au/wp-content/uploads/PWR-Notice-to-Owners.pdf

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: