FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Flywheel lightening for red six  (Read 3740 times)
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »

Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered decades ago, however I'm seeking opinions on flywheel lightening.

I've been running a standard weight flywheel on a red 179 with a Waggott 38/78 cam.

Looking at building a new red 202 with the same waggott grind.  Considering I'll have more torque with the new 3.25 inch stroke; would I benefit with a lighter flywheel or will I lose as much as I gain in terms of street ability?

I know everyone used to run modified holden flywheels, but people say this is dangerous. Do I need a manufactured lighter FW like a Yella Terra billet item?

Cheers
Dave
CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 09:47:06 PM »

Use the light Yella Terra lightweight steel version.

http://store.yellaterra.com.au/holden-6-f-wheel-neutral-balanced-l-w-8-6kg/

Also use ARP bolts and torque correctly with loctite.

CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:48:32 PM »

Do you use a 3.55 diff? Will work great on the street with that cam and lighter flywheel.
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 08:04:57 AM »

Hi Craig,

Great. Thanks for the advice.

Currently running a 3.55 diff and W50 5 speed (with the tallest 1st/2nd ratio available) and 13 inch wheels. Happy with gearing on street. I have a new 3.36 CW/pinion but I've run this ratio before and preferred the 3.55. Triple carb induction assists with low end torque.

Really happy with the drivability of the Waggott cam at low rpm for its duration (229 @ 50 thou).

Do you Prefer medium or permanent strength loctite on flywheel bolts?  Sometimes I find the permanent starts curing before the torque is set properly.

Cheers
Dave
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:36:19 AM »

For a cheap lighter fly wheel you can use a 3.3  5 speed  Commodore  one  Grin they are drilled for a larger dia pressure plate also as a bonus Grin Grin but you must check that  the larger pressure plate will not foul in your bell hosing,, most aftermarket bell housings have no issues .. The standard red flywheel is 10.9 Kg and the Blue/ Black 202 flywheel is 9 kg......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 11:40:59 AM »

Interesting.

I wish I knew that when I had my clutch made. I knew the black motor had a larger friction surface, and that the outer diameter is the same, but did not know about the weight.

As such, I used the red F/W I had and got a clutch made to suit.

Sounds like the commodore would have been a win/win at the time.

Dave
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »

My FC has a chrome molly fly wheel and an evo clutch  do a search on hear under  getting blown im sure there are a few photos ......FC427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: