FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:38:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Window Removal / Review Mirror Color  (Read 10432 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »

Hi All,

I thought I would pull the windscreen out and reseal due a minor leak. I have removed many before without issue but you guessed it I cracked this one. Bugger. Anyway a new one needs to go in. The other one had some scratches anyway. While it is out and waiting to order a screen tomorrow, I thought I would give the rear view mirror back a lick of paint. I know its not the original. Question is - what is the color of the back of this mirror? Is it body color?

I also need to remove the rear window as well. It is a ute and I am replacing the seal. I have had this out before years ago and I am getting a little "windy" removing this as I can't afford to break this. Are there any tips I should follow. Seal is being replaced so I don't care if I damage or cut the old one.

Thanks Again.

Rod

PS: Thanks to all that included their Nationals Diaries. Its been a great read. Hope to make it some time in the future. I just need to get myself away from the Stawell Gift at Easter. Decisions, decisions.
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »

If you are replacing the rubber, then the best thing to do is cut the rubber around the glass with a Stanley knife. Use a new blade and get under the rubber between the glass and gently cut around lifting the rubber as you go(this will take the pressure off) then you can lift the glass out. Look at where the holes for the side strips are, as I have found they don't line up with the bolts(top two line up bottom two are out or visa versa). You will need to reem them to suite.
Not sure about the mirror, but I think it should be matt grey.
Regards, Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Stewy
sa-club

Model: FE

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »

If your car is an FE, the back of the mirror is usually the roof colour.
Don't know for FC, have seen some grey and some roof colour.
One for you Ken. Rod you might need to give a bit more info on model, build date and city of manufacture.

Cheers  Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 04:50:25 PM »

I painted mine the car colour ,I've seen them the dash clinker grey .They are aluminium so they doo polish nice with a little elbow grease. Haydn
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:22:11 PM »

My 59 FC was original and had the mirror painted the same co;our as the dash which was mat black.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »

I think the mirror back colour is linked to the dash top colour, so the late FE's with charcoal dash top would also have charcoal back colour on the mirror. As usual with things of this nature, there are exceptions. Whether it was due to running out old stock or one factory differing from another, I'm not sure, but generally that's how it goes. There is no mention of the change in the service bulletins.

Ken
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 10:17:21 PM »

Thanks all for your replies. Looks like I will leave the mirror alone. It looks to be the same color as the dash. The rig is a 59 FC ute. A side question is - did utes come out with internal rear view mirrors? The reason I ask is I know that this mirror isn't originally fitted to the ute and I helped the previous owner fit this mirror. Cheers again. Rod
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 07:54:36 AM »

Oops.  I meant to say the dash colour is charcoal.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 08:42:24 AM »

I've always used the "clinker grey" the can reads  09963 Holden Clinker Grey 1960 so I presume its the FB Holden dash colour and am aware of the total paint recipe change at this time so if anyone can give me information on a closer colour with paint codes I would be thankful . Cheers Haydn 
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 05:51:27 PM »

Charcoal grey code is 208-2152, I don't have a modern code for it.
Utes had internal mirrors standard, vans did not.

Ken
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 06:47:05 PM »

Mmm thats interesting Ken. I remember having to measure and drill holes for the mirror for the previous owner. I was worried that I was going to damage the hood lining. Possible exception to the rule I wonder? Thanks again. Rod
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 07:03:16 PM »

Many years ago I was given an EK ute [it was in a dump on a subdivided dairy farm]. The guy who own the farm was the only owner of the ute [matching numbers and still have the service booklet and  sales receipts and rego papers all were still in the glovebox] and that ute had a complete hood lining with no sign of a rear vision mirror . I often wondered if it may have been ordered with a factory canopy . Haydn
Stewy
sa-club

FErgus 1957 FE Special Station Sedan

Jeff Stewart
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »

I thought the FC dash colour was Cinder Grey # 253-9558.
I know that pete "Stapla" did his FC dash that colour which he had PPG do a modern formula for it.
In the service bulletin H108-G from October 1956

Instrument Panel Finish

The flat paint finish of the upper shroud panel located immediately above the instrument panel is achieved by adding to the regular Duco 25-30% by volume of BALM Duco Flatting Base No. 299-9733.
The mixture is then thinned in the normal way with lacquer thinner to spraying viscosity and applied with spray gun.
To preserve uniformity of colour shade, touch up of a damaged shroud panel is not recommended, but rather the complete panel should be coated with the semi-flat lacquer.

Just thought this might be a good bit of information to share  Smiley

Cheers Stewy   Cool

No matter how much you push the envelope, It'll still be stationery
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 10:17:38 PM »

There are always exceptions. The info comes from the FX to EJ parts manual.

Ken
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 11:16:18 PM »

This is an interesting subject, here is a pic of the internal mirror in our 3 door van

it looks like it was pressed into service from an older vehicle, does anyone recognise it?

It is also reversible, I was tempted to change it over for an FE FC mirror but decided to leave it as it is part of the cars history

I'll have to have a closer look at the other vans in the shed!

The ambulance mirror is FC

Gary

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:08 PM »

It seems there are two listings for dash top colour. Cinder grey is also used. I don't know if one superceded the other or if different factories used different colours. They could even be very close to the same colour just with different codes.

Ken
57effie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »

The back of my mirror is the body colour. Car has never been painted. Different to dash and roof. Plated April 57 FE
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 02:17:17 PM »

My car is September '56, and the back of the interior rear-view mirror is Elk Blue, the same as all of the car's exterior. The dash-top and internal door pillars are Teal Blue. There are certainly a few permutations!

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 10:07:42 PM »

My car is Teal over Elk and the mirror back is Teal.
Cheers,
Graham
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 01:42:58 PM »

Just to add info on fitment of internal mirrors to commercials, my EK van came fitted with an FC style mirror. The mirror is noticeably narrower than for instance the standard one fitted to my FB ute, and uses two screws, rather than the normal for FB EK three. No additional hole in the body or original head lining. The van was Electricity Trust of SA fleet order. I assumed the vans were fitted with the smaller mirror due to the smaller rear window. Now I’m wondering if it was part of the fleet order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: