FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 17, 2024, 05:53:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Original Radiator Hose Clamps  (Read 11896 times)
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2003, 02:03:01 AM »

A friend of mine is Restoring an FE and has asked me to locate some original type Radiator Hose Clamps , Trouble is I have several types of FE/FC clamps and am unsure of what Im looking for . Is it either of these 2 pictured
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:23:21 PM by RET » Logged

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 02:05:36 AM »

If it is not either of these pictured could someone post a picture for me , of the original FE type , If there is just one type .
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:23:49 PM by RET » Logged

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 04:53:52 AM »

Slim, I think you will find the one with the slot is correct.
Gary
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 05:16:22 AM »

slim,
The first one is the go.I'm having some zinc plated at present.
Regards,
Graham Wink
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 08:24:44 AM »

Hi Slim
I've got a pic from August '56 that shows "Corbin clamps" (the circular spring steel ones) on the FE radiator hose. I'll put up a pic if your not sure what I mean.

Tony

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 08:49:01 AM »

Hi.
Again, I think it comes down to where the car was built or assembled. The 16,800mile FC that I sold, had everything original in the engine bay. This included the hose clamps. They were the same as the second picture. But my FC ute (again, VERY original) has the the clamps that are in the first shot.
CONFUSING!!!
Ask Ken. He would be the one for the right info.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 08:12:48 AM »

Early engine photos I have (ie late 1950's from Wheels or Modern Motor) all show either the first photo or the spring steel rings as discussed.  
As with all discussions of this type, you can never prove that the other clip wasn't used, but with the photos I have - at least I can be sure that the ones I have mentioned were used.

Hope this helps
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 12:57:23 PM »

Yes Thanks Tony A picture of the other type clamp in Question would be much Appreciated.  You called it a CORBIN CLAMP .

FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2003, 01:05:58 AM »

Hi Slim
Here's the pic.
To make life easier, get a set of Corbin pliers to fit them. You can use normal pliers but it's a bit awkward.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Tony

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2003, 08:31:06 AM »

Cheesy If you can't get a set of Corbin pliers, cut a red motor pushrod in half and fit over the ends of the Corbin clamp and just squeeze together to fit over the hose.
Regards ACE Cool
slim
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2003, 08:35:24 AM »

Thank you gents . All I have to do now is locate the corbin clamps . I have the ones pictured but not The others .  

Dr Terry
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2003, 09:35:55 AM »

Hi Guys,

The 'Corbin' type clips are still used on some modern cars. Jeep is one that comes to mind. I haven't checked out the sizes but I'm lead to believe they are readily available. The special pliers are easily available, I bought 2 pairs just recently.

Regards

Dr Terry
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2003, 09:41:24 AM »

I use to get corbin clamps from a hydraulic hose shop called Aushose in Canberra. Maybe try Enzed or Pirtek, they maybe able to help too.
Cheers
Tony

gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 02:40:41 AM »

Hi Guys,
As far as I'm aware, the Corbin type clamp (as pictured) were introduced mid-way through FB production, and used until the release of the HD. Unfortunately, at the moment I can't find any evidence supporting this.

Cheers,

Graham.
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 09:36:08 AM »

Here's that pic I mentioned before showing the corbin clamps. It appeared in Australian Motor Manual August 15 1956

Cheers
Tony
Sorry about the poor quality pic

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2003, 11:27:50 AM »

I agree that a pic is a great prover of what is original. So, here's a pic that may be of some interest. It is from a Pix magazine from July 5, 1958, roadtesting the "NEW" Holden. As the cars were provided by Stack and Co and Chant (Never heard of this dealer before) and atleast 1 is seen with NSW plates, I would think that this would almost inconclusively tell you which clips to put on your FC.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:24:47 PM by RET » Logged

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2003, 11:30:24 AM »

A closer look.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:25:11 PM by RET » Logged

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2003, 10:20:12 AM »

This is a great early photo and is one of my favourites.  One day I'm going to do a resto with a black steering box and take this photo in the glovebox for everyone who says that black steering boxes are wrong.

I believe I have some Corbin clamps in my box of engine parts.  I will have a look for them.

Ken
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2003, 09:06:44 PM »

Hi All,
Ken.
What do you mean by "Black steering Boxes"? Is that the actual housing for the box, or the bit against the firewall. I want to have a look at my ute & see what is on that (all original) & I also have a few photos of the 16,000mile FC that I helped sell. You could also ask the fella who bought that car, as it was 100% fully, totally original in the engine bay.
There were quite a few differences in the engine bay on that car (Adelaide built) & my ute (Melbourne built). The engine bay in the sedan was ALL body colour green. The engine bay in the ute was ALL black. Then again, the engine bay in my wagon (Adelaide built) has black skirts & a green firewall.
I think this proves to the self proclaimed know-alls (they seem to appear at every car show, & we have our fair share down here), that tell you this is wrong & that is wrong, that it varies considerably. There are many differences in the ute & that sedan & both of them are fully orginal.
Remember: These cars were built by Aussies, who would go to the pub for lunch, or bring their own "Longneck" in the lunch box. I think on some days, they just bunged whatever was available in at the time.
Remember the term, "Is it a Monday car??"  "Wednesday cars are the best".

Nice photo Alex.

Rob J
« Last Edit: June 22, 2003, 09:08:11 PM by 4hammers » Logged

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2003, 08:39:40 AM »

Rob - I wrote my comment after the Motor Manual picture, but it didint appear until the PIX photo appeared - sorry it was confusing.
You can clearly see that in the Motor Manual photo that the steering box and column are both painted black.

You emphasised the precise point that I was trying to make - that there were inconsistencies between cars and that some strange things occur in the engine bay.

Frankly I lay little proof in looking at an individual car but rather refer to early photos from reputable sources such as GMH themselves or roadtests in Motoring magazines.

Engine bay colours follow a general trend which changed with the exterior body style, but is is not 100% reliable - there are exceptions,  just as there are with the outer trim schemes.
I have seen 2nd model FC sedans with higher chassis numbers than 3rd model FC sedans and both from the same plant.
Anybody who purports to state that their is a certain rule is mistaken - there is only a general trend which varied becuse of paint supply or a plant managers' feelings on the day, or any number of other reasons.

Ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: