FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 12:29:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Door rubber problem  (Read 3235 times)
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »

Anyone else have this problem with the front door rubbers, when i shut the door the rubber catches instead of sliding under, I tried leaving it shut all weekend and putting some wd40 on it but it still does it?
   Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:02:16 PM »

Forgot to add the pic.

Pedro

F4+
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »

There is a spray product that can help . Someone on the forum should be able to help .And yes I have always had this problem with these rubbers [only for the past 30 year]. Also had an argument with Rares because of this .Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the original rubbers had a flap of flat rubber like a gasket that hung off to space out and waterproof the guard to pillar faces .The amount of rubber pushing out of the door gap is in direct relation to the placement of the front guard , so have a look and see if by loosening the bolts you may find a way of moving the guard further forward .If not you will probably have to slice some rubber off the back and reglue it in .Haydn
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »

Hey Pedro, basically you need to super glue the rubber together in the crease of the seal where it bulges (if that makes sense) this holds it down for the door to close onto rather than pick it up and squash it.
cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
pedro
qld-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »

Thanks Scott, just came back on to say i solved the problem by gluing down the lip so the rubber sat flat, same as what you said. Wink
   Pedro

F4+
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »

Yes a couple of small drops of super glue works fine. Well it did for me anyway.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:38:53 PM »

Also having known this for 30 years, what I do is cut the original flap piece from the rubber before scrapping it all and glue that section into the new rubber. The moulded piece is separate on an original rubber if you look carefully and this piece is usually in good nick. Once you cut the new rubber and glue the piece in it looks very professional. Clean the old rubber with thinners and it comes up nice and black like the new stuff. I have used this for bottom corners as well - it just depends on whether the old rubber is damaged or not.
I had this discussion with Rares years ago and the issue (doesn't it always) comes down to cost.
An exact replica of the original rubber could be made with all the separate moulded corners, shapes and flaps under the guard, but it would cost five times as much.
A supplier must weigh up originality in a lot of cases against the finished price of the article. No good having a perfect replica if only ten people will buy it.
Creativity is what is needed.

Ken
Mc Bean

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 08:01:05 AM »

I was talking the Better rubber's man on Sunday At the Sydney swap meet about this same problem, he told me they had addressed the problem an showed me the new latest rubber, the rubber is flatter in that region (saying that, the rubber does not seem to be the same profile as the Rares rubber across the bottom which I think fits great.)
  He also told me the some Qld FE-FC boys have used the new rubbers and are happy with them. Has anybody tried these rubbers yet.

Andrew

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: