FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:08:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Window sliding  (Read 3826 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: January 01, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »

Found my rear window ridiculously hard to go up and down. Didn't find it a worry with a manual winder but the electric one is struggling. I've tried to spread the channel so it's not so narrow. It's new felt but the front seams so effortless.
Ideas on something to reduce the friction?

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »

Eazy glide  Grin Grin Grin Grin......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 09:48:52 PM »

Just a wild guess without seeing it but I wonder if the rear window is being pushed to one side & out of square to the channel. Is the electric driven mechanism off set too far from where the manual winder hardware worked so well.

Dave
0417 270 315
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »

Just a wild guess without seeing it but I wonder if the rear window is being pushed to one side & out of square to the channel. Is the electric driven mechanism off set too far from where the manual winder hardware worked so well.
I did look at that and made sure that wasn't the case. I even held it by hand at different angles. It is stiffer than the others though. I even tried to move the channel inside across to have more room.

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »

Frustrating I'll bet. What's changed? Another wild guess - would the channel still sit square & in the correct position if the glass was out  i.e. does the channel guide the glass or does the glass keep the channel in place, adding resistance.

Dave
0417 270 315
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:54:09 AM »

I'm not sure if you are talking front or back but don't remember having any problems with the ones I put in for Wayne . When I did those I just put the units in place with vice grips and hot wired them to a battery to check that they worked before welding brackets . Do remember using some graphite powder to make them slide freely but your problem sounds more serious .If you are sure of the correct bailey channels and the gutters were clear of obstructions such as old clips then the only suggestion I can make is to loosen the quarter glass channel at the bolts and if that doesn't work you may have to remove the smaller bailey channel that goes down the quarter glass channel until it runs freely .And if its the front window glasses just check that the quarter glass frame screws are all tight , you know the ones that screw in from the front of the door frame that hold the wind deflector and maybe the one under the quarter glass rubber below the lock . You probably tried all this but all I can suggest is to loosen everything and then try the window and carefully help it up and down and see if it gets any better . Cheers Haydn 
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 06:30:24 AM »

Found my rear window ridiculously hard to go up and down.

I did pull by hand and it is tight in the channel too.

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »

I'm with Haydn, I would check the width between the front and rear runners. If you can take the bailey channels out and see if the glass slides better. The most likely cause would be either the bailey's are to thick or the 1/4 glass runner is not pushed back far enough. Give me a call if you like.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
MattFC

Adelaide

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 11:07:42 AM »

I had a very similar experience with an EH a few years ago. After trying everything and getting severely frustrated, I ended up borrowing another window and bugger me, fit perfectly! I put them together and 1 was about 3mm wider. Huh  Roll Eyes
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 11:50:37 AM »

This sort of thing can be a issue .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: