FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:14:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Master CylinderReservoirs  (Read 13961 times)
fcee
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »

Has the reproduction of the original metal type reservoirs been considered ,the plastic type alternative does not look right to me ,if there was a metal one available I think most would have them .Maybe Rare Spares may look at this .  Cheers Steve. Wink Smiley

Sale Victioria
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »

The idea has been kicked around a bit in our club. Personally, I'm a big fan of tin reservoirs, and was lucky enough to get a good set for my FE so I could get rid of the plastic jobs it had.

The only sticking point was whether a repro tin should have the thread that suits the original master cylinder, or the thread that modern master cylinders use, that suits the plastic reservoir. Because if you're going to be that choosy about authenticity, aren't you more likely to get your factory original master cylinders cleaned/honed/sleeved and use them in preference to a modern one?

Obviously making both would significantly increase costs and logistics.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:38:03 PM »

i remade a set from a autosmart mecoil tin using the original top worked ok but the lower thread is un matchable.
top thread was the same as an old never sieze tin.
i reckon eh would be a money spinner.
id happilly pay 50 to 60 each ?

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »

If anyone is interested , there is a ABS early plastic canister for sale on ebay . These are not the tin ones but started being produced in the early 60's and if any are interested and want to buy this one then I have a matching one on a stainless sleeved master for a set .Haydn.

But I prefer to stay plastic for the reliability and I don't have original brake or clutch.
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 05:07:39 AM »

Haydn, RET

Are the FE FC master cylinders for the tins a different thread ?
I recentlly tried to fit new plastic bottles to my original master and slave with no luck they were a lot different ?
I assumed they were all the same thread.
I have a new set of clutch and brake master cylinders but wanted to retain the original alloy ones the new ones are cast steel.

I have dodgied my tins for the moment but if they go again id like to know  the solution.

Maybe i could try KBS coating the inside as i run silicon brake fluid.

Pete

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 07:05:46 AM »

Are the FE FC master cylinders for the tins a different thread ?

Yes, they're dramatically different, not at all interchangeable.

Hence the dilemma - do we have to make two different repro jam tins, one with each thread?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »

I think those who are not that fussed about originality are catered for with the plastic ones ,Those of us who like to keep our cars as close to original as possible would want the old style thread .It seems there are still plenty of old type master cylinders available for reconditioning if required . cheers  Steve Smiley Wink

Sale Victioria
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 03:43:17 PM »

Sorry guys ,what I was getting at is that the plastic ABS one that is on ebay and has been on twice recently without selling will fit the early tin canistered master cylinders . The picture is of some of my spares and if its not obvious the black capped one is the ABS one I have on the stainless cylinder .You can see that the bottom is smaller than the after market ones and I just checked it to the tin one and the thread is the same . Even if it the other doesn't come back on ebay , some of you guys running tin canisters may want this in the event yours starts to leak. Haydn
snuff69

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 06:27:40 PM »

I'd agree with Steve, tins to fit the original master cylinders would be the go. And as these would be one of those things that would really finish off an original resto I'd reckon the price ( within reason ) wouldn't be an issue.     I'll take two sets please  Grin Grin    Dave
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »

If the thread is the main problem ,could new tins be fitted with the old threads ,top and bottom ? Wink

Sale Victioria
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 05:06:04 PM »

After lots of trial and error I have come up with my version of the original metal master cylinder reservoirs ,I think they are as good as new ,but perhaps I am biased .would like to post some photos , but do not know how,perhaps could email to someone ?. Wink  cheers  Steve .

Sale Victioria
collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 05:59:58 PM »

Here you go Steve the pic's you sent me.

cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
les

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »

Rare spares has looked at making the reservoirs , But we would prefer to make the complete master cylinder the original type
Les
Ole

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »

They look very good Steve, well done.
Cheers Ole

Adelaide SA
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 09:04:38 PM »

Steve they look fantastic. Well done.

Regards Wayne b
collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »
+1

Les, imho the tins would be a good idea as some of the bodies were cast iron or alloy. I would rather recycle my M/ cyl. bodies (have a box full of them)with a stainless sleeve, rekit them. Then fit them with new tins.

cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 10:47:54 PM »

They look great, it's hard these days to find a good pair, considering they are a glorified baked bean tin (no offence to the maker)

I would like to see these re made. I have a few old master cylinders that could be reconditioned / re sleeved, but I reckon a lot have been tossed out

A popular remake of the tins may be for them to fit both the original and the replacement master cylinders, although it may be too hard with the thread differences

Gary
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »

The only problem in making these tins at home is the availability of the bottom threads ,not wanting to destroy my original tins in case my plan did not work I was stoked when Scott sent me a pair of old rusty tins with useable threads .I have since made another pair with my tins ,If the threads could be reproduced these c0uld be made in the workshop at home for very little cost maybe ten or fifteen dollars without chrome .If any one wishes to try and make some tins I am willing to tell them how I went about it .  cheers  Steve  Wink

Sale Victioria
snuff69

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »

Yes please Steve, I've got half a dozen tins lying around, I'm sure I could make a few good ones.  Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: