FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 07:22:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bumper bars  (Read 6249 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:13:59 PM »

Hi all

I am just wondering whether a good set of bumpers that people have stripped have contained evidence of copper plating as the base. Mine don't seem to have been copper struck first, just Nickel plated over bare metal.

I am not sure but does anyone know of any inconsistencies of the process and if some states were better at it than others.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Sparkie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »

hi ,I have just tonight dismantled original bumpers for rechroming and I filed back a few places after knocking out a couple of dents and yes there was plenty of copper under chrome ,Gary
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »

Thanks Gaz, where was your car made mate. Ill have a look at the others I have when I get the chance. I was hoping to be able to use some of the base, but they are very shagged. I should test the bumperettes tomoz, that will tell the story.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »

My overriders have copper showing in some places. Car is a Sydney build - August 57.

Cheers, Ken
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »

Ill get my other one out of the stripping tank tomoz. ill have a look. thanks.

Deano

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »

Deano,the bar may have been rechromed before at some stage, depending on where they have been redone would be a factor as some states do not allow coppering to be done. This would explain the lack of copper on your bars.                                           

Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
black57

Model: FE

feratrod
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 05:01:36 PM »

I think Jim is on the money.
I had mine rechromed on my FC wagon about 8 years ago. The chromer said they were original chrome because they still had the copper underneath when he striped them. He tried to strip as little as possible so he could retain the old copper under the new chrome. I asked him why he couldn't just recopper them and he said he isn't allowed to anymore. That was 8 years ago.
Because he didn't strip them completely they came out wavey, so he ended up restipping them properly and doing it again.
Apparently the law had only just changed and they were trying to find ways of keeping the copper.
I know nothing myself about the process, I do remember the conversation because it was an experiment, and because it failed.

Pinky.

A car on the road is worth 2 in the shed...
FE Standard rat rod
MG Midget
1965 GSM Dart - ex race car
1948 Singer 9
2 1960s custom fiberglass race cars
And a couple of Cyclekarts underway
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »

Gee I dont know why it is illegal, I havent heard of it, Ill copper strike it myself, I think these are originals though, just very badly rusted throughout. Ill see what the bumperettes are like. I think they tell people this cos its getting rid of the waste that is an issue, but chrome is far more dangerous as a bi product than copper. Farmers put tons of copper in the soil every year to condition it. Doesnt really make sense to me  Tongue

Deano

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 01:52:48 AM »

Delano, I think you are ok in Victoria, I have the name of a place that does restorations & rechroming at home  I'll send you the details when I get back.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Sparkie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »

hi,i have taken my bumpers for rechroming and the man showed me the process which jncludes stripping completely,repairing dents ,filling rusted areas with bronze I think he said ,if needed,replating with copper checking and reparing any slight imperfections and chroming,he showed me recoppered EH bumpers he was working on before chroming .This is what I am paying for and expect.This is in NSW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: