FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 01, 2024, 05:57:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: VIN NUMBER  (Read 5980 times)
darcy975

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »

HI , WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP WITH THIS TRICKY ONE . I AM IN BUNBURY WA , I HAVE BOUGHT AN FC WINDOWLESS PANEL VAN WITH A 179 AND AUSSIE 4 SPEED , THIS VAN IS IN TOP CONDITION AND IS FC NUMBER 6 FOR ME DATING BACK TO 1973 WHEN MY DAD GAVE ME AN OLD STATION WGN . THE PROBLEM I HAVE IS WHEN I WENT TO GET IT LICENSED THEY HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THE MODIFICATIONS AND WERE GOING TO PASS IT BUT COULD NOT FIND A VIN NUMBER , THEY THEN APPLIED TO THE LICENSING DEPT FOR A SURROGATE VIN NUMBER AND RECIEVED ONE , ALL GOOD SO FAR , BUT THE LICENSING DEPT HAVE NOTED THE 179 RED AND HAVE SENT ME A FORREST WORTH OF PAPER WORK TO FILL OUT WITH ENGINEERS CERT ETC , WE HAVE SEARCHED FOR THE VIN , NO LUCK , DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE LOCATED OR HAS HAD THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM BEFORE.      ANY INFO APPRECIATED   DAVE
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

Hope this helps.

Regards

Wayne b
jwm

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:27:36 PM »

I know the owner who originally modified my FE couldn't find a VIN No. when he first went to re-register the car after it had been Engineered. The RTA over here in NSW finished up issuing a Police No. which is stamped underneath the car on the Hadfield Chassis Kit.

Not the first early model Holden that I've heard of without a VIN No. Are there any numbers on the old rego papers?
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:03:09 AM »

I'm surprised that one of the older members hasn't replied to you by now, so here's what I know:

In the "good old days" of FCs, there was no such thing as a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) which includes codes for maker, date of build and car identifier.

The closest the FCs have is the "chassis" number stamped on the inner guard on the FCs as shown in the pic posted by Wayne b (Old Mt Isa Boy) which should have some relationship to the Body number on the ID plate on the fire wall.

This is a good cautionary note for anybody buying a modified classic - make sure you get the engineer's certificates and Road Transport Authority approvals. I think that in most states any old Holden that had a "Grey" that now has an engine over 139 c.i. needs some sort of engineer's certification, or at leats RTA inspection.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
darcy975

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »

thanks Martin ,  theres no numbers anywhere under the bonnet , the old rego papers only have a engine number which must of been off the old grey motor , doesnt match the 179 , so looks like ive learnt a lesson and will have to go through all the bullshit or put a grey back in  cheers  dave
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »

Hi  Dave,
You may have a VIN number stamped on the left inner guard near the Voltage regulator.
If this is the case then the front chassis has been replaced at some stage with an FE one.
If there are no VIN numbers at all then the front chassis may have been replaced with a new one.

Regards
Seb
FE-FC Holden Car Cub of WA (Inc)

Yellow Knight

fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »

Cut a section out of an fc with original vin and tig it in mate.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: