FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 01, 2024, 01:06:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: VH commo steering column  (Read 2788 times)
Gordon
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »

Nethew has a VH commo when you pull on the steering wheel it comes out of the column with the shaft does anyone know if this is an easy fix or do we need another column
Thanks Gordon
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »

The plastic pins in the collapsible part have snapped id say.

easiest to replace it i would think.

philwreck
sa-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »

added to previous comment,the top hub which houses ign switch& indicator has a bearing thats held in with "scotch mist" .should be replaced but have seen them repaired by putting two small self tapping screws in each side of bearing ,after first being relocated.hope this helps.
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »

Ok thanks will pull it apart and have a look
Gordon
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 01:12:21 PM »

This is an easy fix.Best to remove the intermediate shaft at the bottom of the lower end of the steering column then the circlip that holds the bearing at the lower end of the column.Remove the lower and upper shafts the plastic pins in the colapsable section will be broken so put the two sections back together,it should be easy to see how far the top shaft was positioned into  the lower shaft.When you have this lined up drill it with a 1/8 bit where the plastic pins were,just enough to remove the old plastic and use aluminium rivets to hold the two shafts together.It is then a matter of pashing the steering shaft back in from the top,you will probably push the lower bearing from the column as the shaft goes in but slide it back in place and replace the circlip and intermediate shaft.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »

This is an easy fix.Best to remove the intermediate shaft at the bottom of the lower end of the steering column then the circlip that holds the bearing at the lower end of the column.Remove the lower and upper shafts the plastic pins in the colapsable section will be broken so put the two sections back together,it should be easy to see how far the top shaft was positioned into  the lower shaft.When you have this lined up drill it with a 1/8 bit where the plastic pins were,just enough to remove the old plastic and use aluminium rivets to hold the two shafts together.It is then a matter of pashing the steering shaft back in from the top,you will probably push the lower bearing from the column as the shaft goes in but slide it back in place and replace the circlip and intermediate shaft.
I have seen many ways to repair these steering shafts from welding roll pins pop rivets wire the problem with this type repair is it wont sheer and collapse in an accident as the unit is suppose to .. I did some tests a few years back  with drilling and inserting whipper sniper nylon cord and found the yellow cord duplicated a very similar force to sheer to the OME one ........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: