FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 12:28:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey motor reco cost  (Read 4728 times)
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »

We are currently fixing up the grey in our FJ. Thought you guys may be interested in the cost.

Rebore, acid clean block and head, red motor valves with hardened exhaust seats, rings, bearings, deck block, head service with new guides, grind crank, gaskets, new clutch and face flywheel. $ 2724.

Does not include pistons, I was lucky to have a set, and assembly. I used the existing cam, I also had a set of refaced lifters hanging around.

Not running yet, I'm still assembling.

I can understand them costing 5K or so from go to whoa.

Colin.

colt
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:26:49 PM »

I just paid 3K for a  second hand engine but fully recod never used off a bloke that paid $3500 to get it done .

Also came with a fuly reco set of twins and manifold and  a set of extractors. so was a good purchase in my eyes.

Never ever did i think i would ever spend that sort of money on a grey motor.

But i always said they will come back one day thats why i have a stockpile of grey motors.

Pete

Ray Bell

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:28:06 AM »

I have a nephew who owns a reconditioning workshop on the Gold Coast...

He does a lot of HQ race motors and has a very good reputation for his work. Which is really easy to understand as his whole attitude is to give his best and not overcharge while he's doing it. A real good kid.

If anyone's looking at getting engine reco work done, whether that be just the machining or all the way through full assembly, you would be hard pressed to get a better job and you will enjoy dealing with him.

His name is Ben Simpson and his e.mail is bensimpson@racingphoenix.com
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »

Nice plug Ray

I was quoted near 6grand for everything including some story about 132 pistons being rare.

So I said Screw that....V6. But then I started doing that and said Screw that.... V8. Probably finish it this time  Grin

Ray Bell

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 08:01:26 AM »

Honestly, this young bloke is so good I have no qualms whatever giving him a plug...

He did his time at a Toymotor workshop where they had him do oil changes and sweep floors for the four years. Then sent him packing. He did his learning with my brother, who had a general workshop at Currumbin.

Then he moved on to work for a bloke who had two workshops and he floated between the two of them. For some years he was a road service man with the RACQ on the Gold Coast, picking up a lot of private jobs as well as preparing and racing his own HQ. Then he set up as a mobile mechanic, but the reco shop who did his race engine work made him an offer to buy out the business.

So there he is. Like I mentioned, he builds a number of HQ race engines, one of which won the Queensland series the year before last. Well, it was third, but the first and second placegetters refused to turn up at final scrutineering and so they were disqualified.

With the workshop he's finding that he has to do more and more work on older engines. He obviously hates the modern throwaway stuff, but he has a lot of enthusiasm for the more traditional type of engine and he's one of the rare ones who doesn't mind 253s and 308s. His mobile mechanic vehicle, by the way, is a Toymotor Hi-Ace with a 202 built up from leftover HQ racer bits. Another job he did himself.

But if you want to engage him in spirited conversation, talk slant sixes...
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 02:44:09 PM »

Mate of mine has an old charger with a six runs low 12's.... Goes pretty hard.

Are 308's not popular to work on anymore?

Ray Bell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:27:00 AM »

I think more people have a leaning to the SBC...

But there are some strokers around.

In more ways than one!
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:27:27 AM »

Good thing mine is a 304 only then!

john253a

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »

Good thing mine is a 304 only then!
but it could be a 355 for a bit over 1k and a few hours work

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 11:37:51 PM »

Well it's a roller engine so I know a 355 crank will go in without any trouble... Have one laying round?

john253a

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 08:38:31 PM »

nope, the gray is the only thing i own under 380ci

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »

nope, the gray is the only thing i own under 380ci
nice

moetstockie

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 11:08:24 PM »

Chaps, 2 years ago i sent my grey to our Toowoomba guru. It was re-bored to 60 thou, 20-60 cam, new unleaded heavy duty valve set up, 3 x head crack repairs + a few odds and ends. Reassembled and handed back to me for $3650. Goes Wink great and doesn't miss a beat 13,000 miles later. Good value if it's your daily driver. Cheers Moe`t
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: