FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:40:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Electric windscreen wipers  (Read 7261 times)
Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2003, 01:06:44 AM »

Hi Everyone,  Greg has used the last of his electric windscreen wipers fixing up a members car.  Are any of you members prepared to sell some that you might have for extra spares.  We would be grateful as they are getting hard to get over here in SA.  Cheers HOTLIPS

I am woman, hear me ROAR - "vrrmm vrrmm"
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 05:45:11 AM »

Hi kathy,
             Ive got a couple. $40 each.
Give me a call.
Cheers BRAD

1959 Black Std sedan
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 09:00:14 AM »

Brad, what sort of electric motors are we talking about here. Are they a 2-speed and ready to fit? If so I'll put my hand up for one.

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 08:35:49 PM »

Stinky,

Im pretty sure an EH wiper motor will do the trick for 2 speed.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 03:27:20 AM »

You could well be right Ed, but I've never heard that before.  AFAIK XP Falcon is a bolt-in swap, as is one of the Magna motors.  There was a 2 speed electric wiper for EK as a Nasco accessory, but they're very very rare.

Stinky, another option is to speak to Ken (mcl1959), who builds 2-speed units from original FB/EK Preslite single speed units.  Even without an exchange motor, price was well under $100 including arms, mount, the works.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 02:06:48 AM »

Smiley Wink :DThanks Brad,  We will probably take both - are they two-speed or single.  Are you coming to the next meeting, you could bring them then.  Thanks mate.  Cheers Kathleen

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 02:59:56 AM »

Thanks RET, the Magna one sounds interesting and cheap and probably not as worn. Can you give me any leads?

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 03:42:31 AM »

Glenn,

Sorry,  I think it was Alex (custom_fc) who told me about that, but I'm not sure.

I'm not on commission, but I would heartily recommend Ken's kit.  I put one in Faecal about a year ago, and have been extremely happy with it.  It came with the required HR dash switch, which the original FE knob fits onto, as well as wiring instructions and - if you need them - drive-rods and backing plate.  Basically you tell Ken what you're replacing (vacuum job, single speed ACDelco or Preslite) and he will supply you with whatever bits you need.  Additionally, you can save a few bucks by exchanging your existing Preslite single-speed motor if you have one and wish to do that.

Hope that helps,
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2003, 03:52:06 AM »

HI Glenn,
             I think they are ek ones.Are they all two speed?
Kathy see what i can do
cheers Brad

1959 Black Std sedan
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2003, 05:22:48 AM »

Brad,

The odds are very very very low that they are two-speed units.  Standard EK wipers were single speed, and an accessory two-speed unit was available, but they're rare.

cheers
RET

brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 04:33:05 AM »

Thanks RET,
I seem to recall the one in FranCine being 2 speed but the other i have im not sure as i havent had it in a vehicle.They look identical as far as i can tell though.
I didnt realise they were that rare so i may have to keep them sorry guys.
Kathy if the spare one i have here is only a single speed are you still interested?
Thanks BRAD

1959 Black Std sedan
Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003, 05:30:59 AM »

Yes Brad, Greg and I will buy the other one.  Cheers Kathleen.

slim
Guru

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 05:44:14 AM »

Ive got two milk crates round the joint somewhere full of wiper motors , Ill get back to you guys when I locate them . My garage is a bit of a shambles at present . (again) Will post them in the for sale section once found , Cheers Slim

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
mike

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2003, 05:48:23 AM »

This may seem like a silly question as i have only ever had vacuum wipers but how do you visually tell the difference between the single speed and  the two speed motors,

regards mike.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2003, 07:47:57 AM »

Here is the low down on electric wiper motors.
All EK's had single speed wiper motors, and there were 2 types - Preslite has a turned steel case with about 5 rings machined into it, whilst Delco has a sheet metal case.
In 1962, Nasco released a 2 speed motor that would fit onto the FE, FC & FB model.  It uses the original cable operated switch and has like a washing machine action to change the circular motion of the motor to back and forth motion.  Easily identified by having the same switch block on top of it as the vacuum unit.
This is the very rare unit.
All later model wipers (except EJ & EH Special) were 2 speed but the problem is that the wipers on all these cars move parallel to each other rather than opposed like on the FE and FC.
Therefore the solution is to fit the 2 speed field motor from EH Prem or HD / HR or XP Falcon onto an EK base with the EK arms on the back.
I have now come up with a new conversion which uses a power park such as on Commodore and is a superior unit to the earlier conversions.

Summing up; EK Preslite motors are needed for the EH to HR style conversion, whilst both types can be used for the new conversion.

Hope this helps

Ken
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2003, 04:25:12 AM »

Thanks Ken,
That means the two i have are preslite.

1959 Black Std sedan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...