FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 08:53:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Exhaust flange set up help??  (Read 3474 times)
FC_wags

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »

Hi,
in the FC wagon I have a slight leak around exhaust flange near manifold. I have put new studs and manifold gasket in as old stud snapped. This is a pic of how she was when I got her, is the top of that pipe ok or do I need to use this new o-ring?? as I ended up with 2 different sizes (its an EJ grey engine in FC), so how tight do I do the nuts as last ones were old and snapped when I tried to tighten.
thanks

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »

The pipe looks OK to me, the gasket is commonly called a "bangle" gasket and should be renewed if it is starting to flake away or split. You must use the grey motor one which is smaller than the red motor one and fits neatly on the pipe. Bolts should be tight - Book says 20-25 pounds. Critical though is that the pipe is seated squarely in the manifold. It wont seal properly if it is at even the slightest angle. If at all possible loosen off the rest of the exhaust and do it up tight starting from the front.

Ken
REDMR2RED
vic-club

Model: FC

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »

Check to make sure the exhaust leak is actually coming from the flange.

I use a 1 metre x 10mm plastic tube, one end in your ear, the other end move all around the exhaust manifold and listen to exactly where the noise is coming from. It might be the manifold gasket or the spring loaded counter weight in the same area.

1959 FC Holden Ute
FC_wags

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:51:46 PM »

Thanks ive had the manifold off, checked and new gasket. Definately flange as can feel the air pumping out at joint. Will tighten em up with that smaller ring as it did seem to fit best, thanks j
FCGos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 07:12:09 PM »

FC Wags

You may need to add a couple of flat and one spring washer before putting the nuts on as some replacement studs have a shank section with no thread and the nut will bottom out before obtaining a seal.  As Ken said it is essential to have it square, tightening the nuts in an even manner, ie. alternate between the two nuts until all is tight.  A smear of manifold sealer is also helpful and if you can use brass nuts as this will make future repairs easier.

Regards, Wayne
FC_wags

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »

All done, thanks for info, got brass nuts and all tightened and no noise anymore, thanks again
Jas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: