FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:58:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sealant for installing subframe to firewall  (Read 2908 times)
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2003, 06:29:12 AM »

Just wondering what you guys recommend using when installing the front sub-frame assembly to the firewall.  I'm guessing some form of sealant (possibly Silastic, but not Sikaflek) that takes the place of the plasticine like material originally used by GMH.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers - Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2003, 06:57:08 AM »

G'Day Chuck
I would use Sikaflex not silastic,sikaflex is available in the glue type and the no harding mastic. The non hardening mastic version is the same as what GMH used to use.
Holden currently use the glue type sikaflex to stick the firewalls into the commodore.
I used the glue type to put my front guards on,no rattles no water leakage and still able to be removed if required.
John M
« Last Edit: May 07, 2003, 06:57:42 AM by fcmayberry » Logged

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
craiga
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 09:24:51 AM »

I also used the glue type Sikaflex when fitting up my car, as well as Waxguard to protect areas such as guard to A pillar and door internals from water, and therefore rust.

Waxguard was recommended to me by a panelbeater friend as it is the same material used for water protection in new cars.

Good Luck,

Craig.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2003, 08:45:29 PM »

Interesting..

I also sikaflexed the subframe.

Hadn't thought about sikaflexing the guards tho.. glue type you say?

Where do u get wax guard Craig?  Is that like the rust proofing stuff they "hose" on thru your inner doors etc?

Has anybody used Shell Ensis?  apparently it creeps thru the seams and penetrates into everything??

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
craiga
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2003, 09:12:33 PM »

Hi Ed,

Product Name is Tectyl 506 Rust Preventative, most likely available from most auto paint suppliers.

It a very thick honey coloured liquid that I painted very heavily onto the surfaces to be protected. In the doors I first painted on a 5mm layer of sound deadener, then applied the Waxguard. I blocked the drain holes, left the Waxguard to dry overnight, then removed the tape on the holes and cleared them with a wooden skewer.

If you are at the meeting next week I'll have my car there so you can take a close look.

Also, when you need sound deadening and other trim materials (clips, trim board etc) go to Daley's at Villawood. VERY reasonable prices compared to anywhere else and a wide range of stuff. They are a wholesaler to the Australian triming industry so have plenty of gear you'll need.  My car has 3 layers of sound deadener on the floor - soundproof paint, then a lead based underlayer as used in earth moving equipment, then a 3mm cotton waste type underlay, and then carpet. It is now VERY quiet (for an FC) at all speeds, except for the wind noise from the sunvisor  :-/.

Cheers,

Craig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: