FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:35:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 41   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Heart Transplant - adding 172ci  (Read 450931 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 25, 2013, 10:21:47 PM »

Oh the joys of modification  Tongue

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2013, 09:16:59 AM »

Best to take your time and get those brake lines right. Twenty years ago in a rush to get to a timber yard, across two lanes of traffic and into a driveway with a speed bump sheared off a brake line on a front calliper and crashed into a bark chipped garden bed throwing garden bed all over the yard bosses office window from where he was watching in horror . My FC van stopped just short of the wall. The flexible line connection caught the spring tower lip just like you are finding and not a nice result. Even if you have to move the steering stops or do a  travel and lock test with the coils removed and find you have to remove some of the lip of the spring tower its best to get it sorted now. Like others I'm watching with interest. Cheers.
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 26, 2013, 11:13:23 AM »

into a driveway with a speed bump sheared off a brake line on a front calliper and crashed into a bark chipped garden bed . Cheers.
Bugger me!
The flexible line connection caught the spring tower lip just like you are finding and not a nice result. Even if you have to move the steering stops or do a  travel and lock test with the coils removed and find you have to remove some of the lip of the spring tower its best to get it sorted now.

I intend on using the original mount for the house forward and above of the tower on the engine bay wall and without the engine in does not hit the tower  Wink (yet)

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 28, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »

You will eventually stop even if you stuff it all up.....eventually, i can guarantee it......  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Undecided Undecided Undecided Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 31, 2013, 11:29:56 PM »

Dam you and your hex Deano.
I decided to throw the diff and the engine in to see what the ride height would be and to check the brake lines... Never got that far as I got way to excited over having it on four wheels!!!
Won't sit as low as FCRB26 but-

I love these wheels (yes I know there is only two nuts on the studs)

And the front wheels don't hit the guard either

Initial test fit has the inside rear tyre walls almost touching the wheel well so may have to tub slightly but the tail shaft sits out 25mm. Not sure how much they are meant to sit out for travel though

michaeljohn1234m

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 01, 2013, 07:49:19 AM »

great to see it on all wheels nes i think 25mm is fine as they need a little travel play.nice wheels had them on a few cars (the one set that is ) hows the track width front and back
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 01, 2013, 10:44:54 AM »

I know I jump around a bit but I leave the wiring then go back to it fresh. This plug goes into the back of the VT instrument cluster  (this is the complete VT series one OBD1 harness) and trying to convert it all to look FC. I marked out the indicator inputs (light blue is right indicator) and coincidence the FC wire is same colour!

I took the FC indicator bulb and joined the wires and earthed the bulb

Indicated right and....

No way I thought it would be that easy!

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 01, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »

That's a good win, hope everything else falls into place like that.

Regards

Wayne b
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 01, 2013, 01:27:06 PM »

I will put a correction on the wiring... Two types of blue and dark blue VT and light blue FC together indicate right

john253a

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 01, 2013, 09:32:06 PM »

looking good
how high are you at the sills im at 5.5" (2" all round well i think it is) and i with it was about 1" lower, but with air assist and some major mods i dont see it being very drivable

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 02, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »

looking good
how high are you at the sills im at 5.5" (2" all round well i think it is) and i with it was about 1" lower, but with air assist and some major mods i dont see it being very drivable
Huh? You saying mine will be a pig to drive? Not to sure what you mean there.

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 02, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »

When I put the commodore harness in my 48 Vauxhall I found it quite difficult to start working on the wiring then stop and start again. It took me forever to understand what I'd done the day before , so good luck with that.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 02, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »

I think we should all refrain posting when there's a full moon  Cheesy

Deano

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 02, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »

Well I have NFI  Huh about what's going on here. Not offended in anyway by the way (prob cause I have no idea) but...

@John253a - I expect it to be pretty good to drive with upgrades to steering rack and diff position equalling the ride height of the front (with extra engine weight forcing it down) and pull up really well with the VS Calipers and drilled rotors (with VT Booster/master)

@hsv-001 - I can't do wiring for too long as the more you drink and well, just jokes actually I am forced into doing little bits here and there with such a busy schedule. I do a bit late at night then think about it in bed and what the next step could be. Was only by chance I thought to use the VT instrument cluster signal wires for Fc indicator bulbs.
I got in the shit  Angry for brining a door into my bedroom to work on the door loom! Wink

@fe350chev - I got nothing Huh

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 04, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »

I didn't use all the commodore loom as the Vauxhall doesn't have windows or locks[no central locking]. I just named every wire from the diagrams in the Gregory's manual and the circuit on the back of the dash. Then with a @#$% load of shrink tube and soldiering iron connected every wire that I needed. because its auto I used the VS speedo. Your on the home stretch now so here is an idea, use a dial up thermostat sender that goes in your top radiator hose wired into your fan and a three way light up toggle switch and a lower temp. thermostat. This way the toggle switch will light up when you turn it on ,it will light up when the extra thermostat turns your fan on and it will light up when the computer turns the thermo fan on If I can be of any help just ask .  Cheers
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 06, 2013, 05:25:14 PM »

I didn't use all the commodore loom as the Vauxhall doesn't have windows or locks[no central locking].  If I can be of any help just ask .  Cheers
Thanks for the offer hsv-001. There is a lot that I have done at the moment which can't have photos posted until I iron out some bugs.
At the moment I can turn the key and I hear the fuel pump start and all accessoroies on and I can hear the starter relay click but the starter motor does not engage for some reason, yes its in Park. I have looked everywhere for an Earth I may have missed and made sure I have matching BCM to key (as the security disengages when central lock activated) (oops, may or may not have central locking in the front already) and checked all the fuses and relays both under dash and engine bay.

I may or may not have the diff in...

JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 06, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »

I think this happened with the panel van... The the rear wiring harness for an earth to the taillights... Small round connector to fit a screw through it.
Either that try unlocking the doors via the key before trying to start the engine.. Had that happen too.
Nothing worse than trying to start it and nothing... Took me 6 hours to get the ute going.

Phone +64 223509263
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 06, 2013, 10:13:10 PM »

Be very carefull at this stage. The same thing happened to me and like an idiot I climbed under and jumped the starter with a screwdriver and because the computer sets everything the car started and ran . I was very lucky the linkages were correct and the handbrake was on. I think my problem was as simple as a relay not earthing.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 10, 2013, 08:50:33 AM »

Back on the wiring, I went back to the wipers (from page 13) and now have two speeds! And if  I push button in it activates wipers and washer pump.
Thanks again Brett
This is the wire combo for Brett f switch on VT series one loom

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 10, 2013, 10:56:17 AM »

With that wiper switch. Its the same as mine. What I did was get an old perished knob and remove the chrome trim off it .Then I ground the after market switch knob down to fit inside the chrome trim with some super glue. This makes the new switch look original only difference is the washer works when you push on it. Just an idea if you want to try it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 41   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: