FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:04:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Interior colour - factory black cars  (Read 10885 times)
sunnytim

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:54:19 PM »

Hi All
I have just bought a very early FB standard sedan that was finished in nitrocellulose lacquer (FB's carried on the older paint for a few months before acrylic came in May 60(
My question is does anybody know the name of the interior (grey/silver) used on the interior of original black FE & FCs?  The car is high gloss black 253-6258.
Cheers
Tim
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »

G'day Tim,

This has come up before here, if you read the thread it may be of help

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,7259.0.html

Sounds like an unusual car

Also, Jamie (TTV6FC) is doing up a black car, so he may have the same colour interior and be able to help

Good luck with it

Cheers Gary
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 02:37:46 PM »

Jamie's car is one really out of the box as it has a red painted interior - This is the only one I have seen like this.

Ken
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »

Hey Tim,not sure which part  you mean is grey /silver except the top of the dash which I believe is called Cinder Grey.This colour (on my car) is also on the back of the rear vision mirror,the front and rear quarter vent window uprights and the internal steel strips down the A pillar which clamp the windlace into position.The rest of my interior is called Fall red and covers the insides of the doors,some of the door jambs and the inside of the B pillar.Got plenty of photos if you need them although they may not help you as we are talking about different models here but happy to help if possible.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Kinelea

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 11:01:35 PM »

Hello Guys,
A short addition to the thread for Ken's info. I also have a 58 All Balck FC, Riff Red/Black interior, unrestored (one family previous owners), it also has interior of doors painted red. Will be interesting to see if different Red on doors to Fall red/black interior version.
When time permits I will forward the ID tag/chassis info of this and some more cars to Ken for the database.

Tony C
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »

Here's some pics...

Not sure what happened in photobucket but these pictures are rotated correctly in my album but on the side when transferred but you get the idea.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Royal
qld-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »

Hi  Just a follow on from jamies reply my early 59 all black fc225 is the same as his inside so there seems to be a few variations.
        Roy      below is my Id plate

Just  "HOLDEN " on
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 10:32:19 AM »

Hey this is great Grin

Black cars with red inside abound  Shocked Are there any more out there?

Ken
Kinelea

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »

thanks Jamie,

Looks like Fall Red car has 'Fall Red' paint on inside Pillar, my car with Riff red interior has close to 'Riff red' color on pillar and inside doors.

Regards,
Tony C
sunnytim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 04:56:16 PM »

Man that is a cool colour combo.  Seems like I need to stick to what I know - FB-EKs  Cheesy Cheesy
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »

The factory Black car that I have has the same interior as Jamies.

Dean.
sunnytim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 07:20:32 PM »

Interestingly there is one (a black FE 225) on Ebay at the moment
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-1956-FE-fc-special-sedan-which-would-need-restoration-In-good-condition-/280912132828?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item4167aafadc
The car is High Gloss Black.  The Trim code starting with a '4/' is the same as on my FB (Mephisto Red from memory)
Looking at the dash it is hard to tell if it has been painted black over the grey/silver at some stage (see kick panel area)

The plate is 4-582 different to the 4-627 so different interior colour but the '4; means Hi Gloss Black trim combo (whatever that ends up being  Huh) to relate the the second set of numbers that relates to the trim colours (fall red etc) as per master parts manual.

Anyone researched the correlation of the first characters in relation to the second trim identifying codes before?

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 08:26:59 PM »

The first number in the trim code is the exterior colour combination. 4 is indeed the colour code for Black, from the 48-215 through to EH at least, maybe even later. The trim code page in the tech info area has the codes that pertain the FE/FC, but obviously there is some overlap with other models. Even when "Magic Mirror" (acrylic) took over from nitrocellulose lacquer, colours or colour combinations that remained the same - such as black - retained their original trim number.

The second number (after the dash) is the interior colour combination. They're all documented here: FE, FC.

The PAINT codes describe the type of paint and the BALM colour number, so 253-6258 means DUCO (253) and Hi Gloss Black (6258). Two-tone cars have two entries under the PAINT entry on the ID plate.

There are very clear patterns (if not absolutely hard and fast rules) when analysing ID plates:
* Black cars have red interiors
* Grey cars have red interiors
* White cars usually have red interiors, but occasionally have other colours
* Cream cars have maroon or brown interiors
* Terraglow/Terracotta and yellow cars have black and white interiors
* Otherwise, the interior will be similar to the exterior, blue goes with blue, green with green and so on.

Hope that's useful. I'm sure Ken can expand on my list of exterior/interior colours and correct any errors. He's not called the guru for nothing Grin

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »

I had a look at this car as well - The exterior is painted in grey and white from memory so hard to see why they would paint the dash black if the exterior was painted differently. I think the dash is original paint and the grey on the kick panel is primer from some rust repair.

I have done correlations of what interiors go with what exterior colour. Every black FE 225 I have recorded bar 1 has 582 trim which is the Fall red/Fall red interior. I have one recorded from NSW - Kim Dyer whose car has 466 interior which is Caliph Red & Parchment Ivory.

I can process cross combinations of trim colours for every exterior colour combination for both FE & FC

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: