FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:14:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR front end  (Read 18202 times)
Gordon
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:29:43 PM »

HI all when putting an Hr front crossmember in an Fc, is all you have to do besides changing engine mounts to suit, is take the outrigger off and weld the Fc one in the same place as i was told, if so is this easily done or best done by the professionals
Thanks Gordon
87 velo
nsw-club

Model: FE

Sydney

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:44:59 PM »

How well can you weld? there is an article on the web site that details what is necessary to complete the job  http://fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/tech002.html  this should help  Good luck!
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »

Hi thanks for that, it doesn't say if you can or should use the origanal out rigger of the FC it only says an EJ/EH one is a good fit ??
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »

If your using a grey motor run the fc outrigger so you have the holes for the front engine mount of the grey motor.

Mc Bean

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 05:11:18 PM »

Hi Draperblu,

If you need the crossmember welded FC / HR, I can do it for you no charge. You just have to bring it to Newcastle.

Send me a pm if it helps you.

Andrew

Andy
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »

I have to disagree - the FE FC outrigger is not an easy fit. I twoulf have to be cut up and joined to fit. The EJ EH and the FB EK outrigger is a perfect fit. So for a grey motor - use an FB to EJ outrigger.

Ken
Mc Bean

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 06:13:45 PM »

Hi Ken

Do you have to weld the EJ EH and the FB EK outrigger onto the HR crossmember as well. either way I would make a jig of the FC for perfect alignment. 

Andy
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:15:43 PM »

Yes you weld the outrigger on - if you remove the donor outrigger carefully without wrecking the mounting flanges you don't need a jig - 2 bolts at the bottom and it just goes straight on.

Ken 
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:17:29 AM »

Hi Draperblu,

If you need the crossmember welded FC / HR, I can do it for you no charge. You just have to bring it to Newcastle.

Send me a pm if it helps you.

Andrew
Wow, I'm in Newcastle and have a HR front with an EJ outrigger that needs to be welded on. What are you doing next week  Wink

Draperblu, I can post some photos if you like to show what these guys mean, I'm in Sydney on Friday if you want me to bring it up to Newcastle for ya. (really wish I could weld)

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 05:06:50 AM »

come and rip them stubs off and ill weld it on for you.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 10:11:21 AM »

Your the man Pete!  I have heaps I need to weld..... new posts for engine mounts, gearbox tunnel and fuel tank neck. Might have to make a day of it. Let me know when your free.

Draperblu, sorry for hijacking thread. Did you want me to bring it up to Newcastle?
Cheers

Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »

Hi thanks for all the advice and offers, I'm a boilermaker welder by trade working at a bus building company so welding is not a problem. As my plan is to fit a 253 with Trimatic it sounds like i need to get a EJ/EH outrigger ? (anyone got one for sale ?)
Thanks again Gordon
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »

Hi Gordon,
p.m sent.
ACE  Cool
Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »

Hi Gordon,
I would go with the advice of Ken, use an FB-EH outrigger.

I know someone  Wink who is doing one at the moment using an EJ outrigger (like the other 2 I have done) and it works well.
Click on the images for larger version.

The folowing photos may help:

HR Front end with original outrigger removed i.e. prepared for grafting on new outrigger.

EJ outrigger ready for installing.

Outrigger on front end - I use a couple of 5/16" coach bolts as replacements for the rivets... these are more for the look that anything else as they look like rivet heads and align the top of the outrigger.

A bit of weld applied (OK, I am not great at welding  Embarrassed hence quantity rather than quality)

Some bolts thru the bottom holes as Ken indicated. May need to apply some force via clamps etc to align holes.

Weld down each side (now enough weld to hold about 5 tonnes  Grin)

Job done  Smiley

Hope this helps you understand the task ahead,

Cheers,
Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 01:17:54 AM »

Thanks all and Trevor B the photo's are great just what i was looking for, this is such a great forum for information
Thanks again
57effie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »

Hi all,

I've got the outrigger sorted but not the engine mounts for a red. I'm monkey see monkey do, meaning I'd like to see some pictures if some one would be so kind as to post some. Advice on positioning would also be appreciated. Can you use standard mounts or do I need to fabricate something ?

Thanks

Mark
cruisin_doug

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »

G'day everyone
Have a question about wether the outrigger is essential to a HR conversion. My ute (FJ) has a John Keen engineered HR front end and does not have the outrigger on it.

I know the purpose of the outrigger is to prevent the front twisting under braking loads, but my car has been on the road for 14 odd years without a problem ...

Is it dependant on power of the car and braking performance expected rather than being an absolute necessity? My car has been engineered but standards change.

Cheers
Doug

Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 01:25:48 PM »

Yeah same here Mark any photo's of engine mounts for 253-308 would be good, And Doug good question do i really need the outrigger ?  hope to get a definitive answer to this
Gordon
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »

Rubber mounting for FX FJ was solider than FE EK so never had an outrigger - not even stock front ends have outriggers. Mind you handling in an FX FJ is not what you would call ideal Undecided
FE to EK should have an outrigger as the front end will not be stable enough without it.

Ken
Gordon
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »

Thanks Ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)