FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 06:21:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: crude windscreen removal methods  (Read 6264 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »

I'm sick of the windscreen being a bitchin. Nothing is working out with the screws in the bling and i was thinking of using my anger at the situation to boot the window out. any ideas on the pros and cons of using this method??? Tongue

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
john253a

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »

ive used my feet before and it worked well on 1 window and not so well on another,
took a long time to clean up and get out from all the vents(but on the fe i think the vents wont be an issue)
and the obvious you may need a new window

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »

Hey Deano, I thought you knew I am a windscreen fitter. If you have the screws out, then you use your feet to gently push on the screen starting at the top corner and use a long flat screwdriver to release the rubber from the body at the same time. Then work your way across the top and down the pillars as you go. Not that hard really, but then I have been doing it for 35 years.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 04:48:07 AM »

If your seats are out i have used the shoulder method as well.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:12 PM »

Thanks guys. Sounds like a plan. I'm not angry now. What mood do u have to be in to do it. Wrangler I didn't know u are a windscreen fitter. All the trim and rust are getting to me and lack of general progress. But on the upside, the roofs about to go on the new house.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »

If the seal has gone hard you could use a knife to cut around the seal on the inside. Then the screen will just pop out.

Colin.

colt
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:24:06 AM »

Try having a sick 2yr old and a newborn and wife that are crook and see how much progress you make .
I have to check if my sheds still there.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:17:50 PM »

Been there man and it can be a drag hey mate. I sympathise with you brother. Kids that age and for the next few years always seem to be crook. It's a testing time til they hit school then it gets easier. My 12 year old son is having mri's atm for a possible brain issue that's arisen in the last three months and have been doing the new place which is now past framing stage. Just when ya start sailing smooth a storm hits and blows u off course. When I get the new shed and have one mortgage again ilk go spaz with the build but me too....slow at the moment.

Deano

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 09:19:56 PM »

I used a heat gun on the rubber and worked my way around then while warm keep apply pressure on the inside and it comes out real easy.I know people have suggested that apply heat to the glass (especially toughened non laminated) can cause it to shatter but if you keep it on the trim and rubber it comes out very easily.Maybe I just got lucky? Huh

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »

Maybe I need to get back in the shed to forget about the other stuff  Tongue

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 09:28:12 PM »

I need to stop being a low down pussy and get on with it   Shocked

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: