FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:38:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: first timer  (Read 7546 times)
superfly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2003, 07:37:53 AM »

hey my names Matt, im 17 and im looking at buying a 1958 FC special sedan, it has a modified 186 with twin carbs, 2 1/2 " exhaust & it is lowered with mag wheels, apart fom that, which is a fair bit it is virtually original.

Unfortunatly it has rust in the lower parts of the left hand side panels and the left hand front floor has had water leaking on it and is begining to rust but on top of that the front sub frame has all but rusted out on the left hand side and the right hand side is starting to go.

Is there anywere in vic that i can get replacements for these and how much would it cost?

And if anyone has any helpfull info for a first time FC buyer ie: what should i look for and what should i steer clear of i would be realy greatfull.

Last but not least (sorry about the length) the car looks really neat and has a neat interior, it just has alot of little problems as i have metioned, but they are asking $7990 for it which i think is to much but im not sure so any feedback on that would be really good to.

Also the rego is FC 1958 which is good Grin, just incase any of you know it or have seen it before, I think the previous owner was a member of the vic FE/FC club.

Thanks heaps matt
dam-mad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 07:55:31 AM »

Hi Matt,

Good to see you have a nice taste in cars  Grin

Just my opinion but if it has that much rust that you can see chances are there is more you can't see.  I would imagine the asking price is too much..

The asking price you say is $7990, is it a car dealer who has the car for sale?
superfly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 08:10:54 AM »

hey, yes it is a car dealer

they tell me that they will pay to make it roadworthy for that price, they reckon it will cost $1000. But after the stories ive heared about writen out roadworthies i dont trust them

thanks for your thoughts
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 08:29:00 AM »

run a mile quick,it sounds like a pile that needs a lot of work,$1500 would be closer to the mark,go and have a look at Julies FC which is in the for sale section of this forum, also there is a very nice ute from interstate that would be worth flying up for and driving home,and probably a few others as well.

slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 08:37:34 AM »

Sounds a bit Pricey mate . Click on cars for sale to see what the competition has to offer . Youll be impressed, some pretty good value FCs come thru the forum . Dont jump at the first car you see , Either , As a young fella , The car yard would be rubbing there hands together like vultures .  

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
superfly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 08:38:50 AM »

thanks for the info nicko

but apart from the rust its all in good nick and runs great, the engine only has 400k's on it since the rebuild, it has a HR front end and a new gear box, ive been told to pay no more than $5000 for it.

but i was hoping someone would know it as the previous owner was a member of the vic FE/FC club.

you wouldnt happen to know how much julie is asking for hers do you, because it looks really nice Cheesy

cheers, matt
superfly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 08:48:02 AM »

thanks Slim,

im actually a torana freak and have been looking for a nice LC 2 door for the last couple of years, and have loved them my whole life, my dad had the xu1's when they were new and i know every thing there is to know about them but when it comes to FC'S i dont know were to start to look for problems, and if i cant find a good one i think im going to rebuild my broters LC that he ran up the back of a landrover  Tongue, its nice its got a fully worked 202, aussie 4, LSD and so on, but ive got the money to make it real nice

I dont know what im doing yet though

cheers, matt
slim
Guru

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2003, 09:22:55 AM »

Toranas are like A#seholes , every one has got one . Stick with The FC theory , They are a great Classic looking vehicle . And the young chickies Love em. You can do magic with them or leave them standard , but youll always have someone to talk to , owning an FC. Plus who wants to be squished up in one of them Torannas when you can put 5 friends in your FC with you (bench seat).  Youll never look  for another car , once you have loved an FC. Check out the Nationals Photos and you will no what I mean .

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2003, 09:40:09 AM »

I think Julie wanted offer over $3000 ,you could buy her car and get the car on the road and registered for a cheap enough price ,

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 10:48:54 AM »

Don't do it, they are asking way too much. For $8,000 you should be getting something would be taking out trophies at the Nats!
Something like what you have described should go for no more that $2500, considering all of the rust involved.

Slim, got to agree about the Toranas, I was crazy on them when younger. I fell in love with FE/FCs from the blown Candy Apple Red FE in Street Machine and I always loved that Rare Spares T-Shirt with the EH and the FC. Still got the Torrie though, stripped down in the shed awaiting paint (10 odd yrs so far!)

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 11:36:15 AM »

Hi Mat

I am also new to the FE/FC scene. I purchased my first FC a month ago. My problam is once I made up my mind it was time to get back into cars I wanted an FC and I wanted it now and I did not want to pay a fortune.

I payed 2.5k. this sort of money gets you a car with rust in the right place. It also gets you are car with bodgie work. All in all I have a car in fair workable condition.

From reading your posts I would not touch that car with a barge pole.

Have a look at julies car it looks good. I would have brought here car but it came on the market about 5 days to late.

There is also an FC station wagon on this site to. If I were you I would join your local FE FC club as the ppl in these clubs are very helpfull and will point you in the right direction.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
HARKO
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2003, 12:06:56 PM »

Study up ,At your age you should steer clear of car yards as Slim said, They will see you coming a mile off and knife you in the back with a great big freindly smile on thier face,
Have someone do the talking who is expierienced it may benefit you a lot, and any scanning of classifieds and phone calls you make will save you real money,this car would cost you $8000 plus $2000 in repairs because they may well see you coming also and you can buy something very good from $3000 upwards so to start with I would say that you are starting with the right attitude and in the right place ,You didnt grab the first car you seen and you did get some opinions..

fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2003, 07:58:18 PM »

Matt
      Is it the Fc in the F?RD car yard at Mornington?

Regards Geoff.
superfly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2003, 06:18:31 AM »

hey Geoff,

Yes it is the FC in the F?RD car yard in Mornington, have you had a look, if so what do u think?

im thinking of offering them $4000 with reg and roadworthy & then selling the rego plates to help fund the repairs plus what i have left over.

also if anyone has a nice slightly modified FC they are thinking of selling give us a yell.

cheers matt Wink
superfly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2003, 06:40:24 AM »

hey everyone,

one thing i have noticed is that the steering column looks unusualy long, im not sure if it is just the boss kit for the sports s/w giving it that extra length or if it had a new one put in when the HR front end was installed.

but it is kind of uncomfortable, so im not sure if it is right or not.

so any info on that would be great

thanks matt
fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2003, 08:18:03 AM »

Hi Matt,
           I only had a quick look on a Sunday.Saw the rust and as they say in the Castle,"tell em there dreamin".
I didnt look under the hood as I am not into hotted up FC s.
Regards Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: