FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:43:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Reconditioning a Battery??  (Read 3669 times)
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2003, 11:17:20 PM »

My nephew is restoring an FJ sedan which still has a genuine GMH battery in it and until last week it had been performing sterling service. According to the fellow he purchased the car from the battery had been pulled apart and reconditioned about 4 years ago. Does this ring true with anyone? And if so is there any business around which still does this? According to my 82 yo father it was a common practice in days gone by to recondition a battery.
Also, can anyone advise on a fair price to pay for an FE grille in near perfect condition please?  Huh
coolaride
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2003, 12:22:24 AM »

hi

yes you can still get batteries restored or serviced
down here in melbourne .

ariel batteries still does the original 6 v or 12 v type .

ph 03 9481 - 5731

its been a couple of years since i`ve been there .
but , give him a call .

as for a fe grill , well........ i`m not sure  Huh

hope this helps

cheers

coolaride
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2003, 03:38:02 AM »

Ariel batteries are still operating & still have casings available for those people who don't have an orig battery already.  These are 9 plate batteries & are far superior to the stuff you will buy elsewhere.
And of course the Vic club have repro decals of the original GMH sticker that fits on this battery.

As for FE grilles,  near perfect means no pitting in the surround or vertical bars and excellent chrome with no scratches etc.
A grille in this condition is worth $100 or maybe even more, but if there is any pitting in the chrome then it falls into the $10 category where all the other FE grilles you see at swap meets fall into.

Ken
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2003, 07:48:24 AM »

Hi, Pope batteries at Blacktown NSW will do just about any sort of battery you want.
Gary
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2003, 07:54:32 AM »

Excellent condition FE grill $75 to $100 . Sounds about rite. And on the battery , could you let me know how you go , as when I bought my panelvan , I got an original Fc GMH battery , But it Needs reconditioning also . I didnt realize this was a possibility either. Any Ideas on cost . Has anybody on the forum had one done ?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 07:57:18 AM by slim » Logged

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
coolaride
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 08:21:39 AM »

hey slim

i had mine done on my old sedan .
the battery was still going strong after about 4 years.

even when late last year i travelled up the coast for two
months in another car , came back and my ex-fc started
first go....  Smiley

if you ever get one done just make sure you never do
the clamps up too tight or else you`ll crack the wax top which means water will start leaking through   Roll Eyes

price ..... not to sure .... to far back to remember .

cheers
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2003, 07:00:23 AM »

Thanks for the input everyone. My nephew spoke to Ariel and Pope and both perform this type of service. As he lives in Sydney he will likely go with Pope Batteries (66-68 Tattersalls Rd Blacktown, tel: 9622 3223). He spoke to an older fellow named Bob who said he'd done hundreds of similar refits since setting up shop  there in the late 50's. I will post the results. Wink
FBvisitor

Don't ya' just love an old Holden

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 12:18:15 AM »

G'day Ken,

Down in Tassie your battery can be refurbished for about $120.00

Cheers, Jason.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)